Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Diagnosis?

Cancer.
One small two-syllable word.
Something that happens to 'other people'.

You hear it a lot. What does it mean?
It's not much of an encouraging topic, so why am I writing about it?

Well, to be honest, too many people on my prayer list are living with cancer in their lives. Brenda who is a cousin has advanced cancer. Annette my neighbor and friend found out she had cancer two weeks ago and it was found early enough that they took her into surgery and 'got it all'. My other neighbor and friend Lynn battles this thing everyday. Just today I found out my long time friend Leroy has a brain tumor. He has known this for a while but I just found out.

So what is cancer? We know the pathology description "a malignant and invasive growth or tumor," but there is another definition as well "A pernicious, spreading evil"

As I learned about Leroy's tumor, I thought to myself "Does EVERYONE have cancer or something?" And I thought of my layman's concept of cancer and it went something like "something that gets in your body and destroys you from the inside out" and then I thought: Yep! We are all susceptible to that! Then that's when I went to the dictionary and saw the spreading evil definition. Hmmm.

My list of 'cancers' that we are susceptible to: lying, cheating, stealing, gossip, gluttony, disrespect... These things get in the body of Christ and try to destroy it from the inside out.

So now we must ask ourselves: Are we invader, the invaded, or the ones who point to the cure?

The Invader: Am I creating cancer within the body of Christ by bringing in lies about others? Am I spreading evil by stealing from others?

The Invaded: Am I dealing with the invasion of a cheating spouse? Am I fighting against things others have gossiped about me?

The Cure: Regardless of how the enemy tries to bring cancers/evils into my life or the lives of those I care about, am I daily seeking the only One who can cure our spiritual, emotional, and psychological 'cancers'?

So how will you deal with this cancer today?

James 1:19 (The Message): Post this at all the intersections, dear friends: Lead with
your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear. God's righteousness doesn't grow from human anger. So throw all spoiled virtue and cancerous evil in the garbage. In simple humility, let our gardener, God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation-garden of your life.




No comments: