Tuesday, October 31, 2006

How Often Do You Consult the Map?

It happened again.

The map and memory thing.

Before I started my current day job, I consulted the maps to figure out the best way to get to work. I tried a few different routes over my first few weeks and pretty much settled in to one path to and one path from work.

However...

I'm always on the look out for the best route that doesn't violate my 'rules for the road'. So I was driving to work and I remembered that there was a side road that I could take that would cut off a little bit of my driving distance. It might be slower because it might be residential which is why I had never tried it. Going this same path for over a month, I knew it was one of two roads. I was pretty sure it wasn't the first one, so I took the second. Nice easy side road. One stop sign, no problem. Got back the main road and thought "WOW! That was good!" Turned to the right, as you would expect to do if this path was correct and started smiling at my new found short cut.

Then...

Then I looked up and realized, oops!, I was NOT on the road I thought I was AND I was heading in the opposite direction from the direction I needed to be going. I guess that side road turned without me realizing it. Phooey! So I drove until I could turn around. I got going in the right direction and made it to my destination. Now if I just re-consulted that map!

How often do we do this with the Road Map of Life? How often do we say "I know the Bible says this or that because I read it once?" Or do we just read the Bible in church and think to ourselves "I get it. I know which way to go. I don't need to look at that again"? Just as there are many details on a map and we must pay careful attention to them, there are details in God's Word and we need to consult it each and every day ...sometimes multiple times in a day. If we don't we may find that life has thrown a curve we were not prepared for. We may find ourselves going in the opposite direction.

What will you do today? Will you rely on your memory of what you read as a child? Will you recall what you 'think' the Bible says about this or that? Or will you open the Map and search for the right directions?

1 Kings 2:3 (The Message): Do what God tells you. Walk in the paths he shows you: Follow the life-map absolutely, keep an eye out for the signposts, his course for life set out in the revelation to Moses; then you'll get on well in whatever you do and wherever you go.

(Note to the readers who are getting this via the mailing list. I have found that this nice relaxing layout does not carry through to the email. You may want to go to the web page at stowebear.blogspot.com to read the posts. You may just want to use the daily email as a reminder to go to the web page.)

If you would like to receive this via email return to the home page and subscribe to the google group. Additionally, you do not have to have a blogger account to post comments.

No comments: