Thursday, October 19, 2006

Rarely Early, Never Late

Two familiar phrases...

1) Timing is everything

2) God is rarely early but He is never late

The first phrase puts the emphasis on me, you, us. The second puts the emphasis on God.

I really prefer the second. And today is a perfect example why.

Rewind to this summer. Part of our fence fell down and we started looking to replace that side of our fence. Estimates, budgets, making sure the neighbors where in agreement.

While we were getting estimates and such, I put in a sell order for a small amount of stock that I acquired at my last job. I set the price I wanted to sell it at and I waited.

And I waited.

And we ordered the fence and it was scheduled to start being installed on ... October 19.

And I waited for the stock to sell.

The stock went on a nice roller-coaster ride and came close, very close, but did not reach that sell price. Rick and I discussed lowering our target sell price but it just did not seem right.

We had enough in savings to pay for our part of the fence but felt strongly that the stock was how we should pay for the fence.

And the week the fence was scheduled to start had arrived. And we still owned the stock. The day before they were to start the fence work, the stock got within 5 cents a share of the price we wanted to sell it at.

Welcome to today. October 19th. The day the fence work is set to start. Start the day and we still have the stock. Then.

Then less than half an hour into the stock trading day, today, on the day the fence work started, the stock hit our target price and the sell executed.

Wow! Not one day early, not one day late, right on time.

Can you trust God to know your future? To take care of your needs? Can you trust Him to be right on time and not worry when it looks like He might be late?

Proverbs 16:20 (The Message): It pays to take life seriously; things work out when you trust in God.
Proverbs 16:20 (The Message): Do your best, prepare for the worst— then trust God to bring victory

No comments: