Thursday, October 26, 2006

When Will You Drum?

My son is a drummer. He loves his drums. He also plays guitar. And has taught himself how to play both. He truly has a gift for music. Oh and did I tell you I love to hear him sing as well.

Anyway, he gets home from work about 2 hours before my husband and I do. And during this time he does other things that he wants to do...but he does not usually play or sing.

So we get home. I fix dinner. We eat then do whatever. Then about 9:00 at night...when I'm ready to wind down and get ready for bed...what does he do? Yep! He starts banging, um, I mean, playing his drums. This happens at least four nights a week.

He has all the time in the late afternoon to play. He can even play when I'm fixing dinner. But no, he waits until the end of the day. THEN he plays as long as he possibly can...almost as if has to make up for the lost time from earlier in the day. When I finally get ready to for bed, I insist he quit. But he still wants to make music so he to fights 'the end' of the music, he turns to his guitar.

As I was driving to work this morning, I was thinking about this ongoing situation. And my loving Lord clearly showed me the parallel.

What is your talent? How are you using it for God's glory throughout your life? I have read of many people who spend their lives living for themselves then when they think their life is close to ending they scramble to do all they can to store up crowns in Heaven. They waste the 'day time' and try to play catch up when the night is drawing near.

So what will YOU do? Will you continue to focus on what you want now and hope there will be enough time later in your life to use your talents? Or will you play your drums and your guitar throughout your life? Use your talents on a daily basis? The choice is yours.

1 Chronicles 29:9 (Amplified Bible): Then the people rejoiced because these had given willingly, for with a whole and blameless heart they had offered freely to the Lord.

No comments: