Sunday, October 22, 2006

Where He leads me, will I go?

B.B. McKinney wrote the words "He drew me closer to His side, I sought His will to know, And in that will I now abide, Where ever He leads I'll go."

I have long loved that song. But the 1st question is "will I?" and the 2nd is"where DOES He want me to go?"

I'm currently in a search for a new church home. My heart says "Go where God wants you to be." My head asks "Where DOES God want me to be?"

So this morning I visited Life Connection Church in Euless TX. The pastor Royal Farris told a story of when God was leading him to change careers from counselor to pastor, he wrote down the job description that God gave him. (About a year later that was the exact job that he was offered.) That inspired me to write down what I am looking for in a church. It scares me to do this because some people who may read this may disagree with what I'm looking for. You know what? That is OK. There is a reason that we have many different types of Bible-teaching churches...we have many different types of Bible-believing Christians.

And before anyone decides to fill me in, I already know...If I were to find a perfect church, it wouldn't be a perfect church any longer because I'm imperfect and as soon as I join it, it would be imperfect too.

So...here's the list of some of the things I feel are important as I look for a new church home...

  • Bible-believing
  • Bible-teaching
  • Teaches that the Bible is the infallible word of God
  • Teaches that Jesus is the only way to Heaven
  • Teaches the God-head, 3 in 1
  • Believers baptism (Baptism is an act of obedience not an act of salvation)
  • Expository preaching
  • Use the Bible as part of the worship. By this I mean that the pastor says "turn in your Bible to ..." It's nice, really nice, that the scriptures are in the bulletin and on the screen, now just invite the congregation to bring and USE their Bibles .
  • Blended worship that values the tradition hymns with their original melody as well has scripture based praise and worship songs
  • Evangelistic

Ok the list is not all inclusive. It is the list of the things that are foremost in my thoughts.

So if I find a church that is everything above but only hymns, if God makes me feel I'm at "home" when I get to that church, "will I" stay?

Or if I find everything else that is listed above but the pastor preaches topically instead of expositorily and God leads me to that church, "will I" stay?

What are you seeking God's will about today? What do you hear Him saying to you? Do you like what He is saying? Will you follow His leading anyway? Where He leads, will you go?

Jonah 2:9 (The Message): But I'm worshiping you, God, calling out in thanksgiving!And I'll do what I promised I'd do! Salvation belongs to God!"

No comments: