Friday, November 03, 2006

Flat Tires

It happened.

My husband and I swapped cars today. I drove his to work. When I came back from lunch, as I parked the car, I hit the curb...and...pfhsssss the air left and I sat there with a flat tire. What? How can bumping the curb leave me with a flat?

I think I figured it out. The tire is probably about two years old and has been bumped many times during that time. It has taken the pressure each time. It held its own. The tire seemed to be in good shape , its air having been checked recently. This time the outside pressure was just too much for the tire. I'm not sure if the outside pressure hit a week spot or if the outside pressure was too sharp for tire to provide resistance.

So what does this have to do with us?

We too face external pressures and pointed temptations on a regular basis. If we check our air regularly and stay in good shape (stay in the Word, quiet time, etc), we usually can resist those pressures and temptations. What is it, though, that we can't handle? What is it that takes the air out our spiritual tires? Are you 'fine' until someone violates your trust? Or do you go flat when someone gossips about you? The air leave you when you hit financial hardship?

Schedule your spiritual "air in the tires" checkup today. Ask our Loving Lord to show you your week spots and help you to strengthen those spots so that when the outside force hits you hard, the air will not escape and leave you flat.

1 Samuel 23:16 (NLT) Jonathan went to find David and encouraged him to stay strong in his faith in God.


If you would like to receive this via email return to the home page and subscribe to the google group. Additionally, you do not have to have a blogger account to post comments.

No comments: