Thursday, November 02, 2006

More on Brakes

This morning, driving to work in my usual way, I was following at a safe distance behind the car in front of me. Something to my right caught my eye and I looked away for a split second. I looked back and the car in front of me had slowed down a bit so, of course, I had to use the brakes to slow down.

Traveled a bit further, following safely behind another car, and something to my left caught my eye. I glanced over at it. Looked back and, yep, had to apply the brakes again.

Had my eyes been on the road the entire time, instead of having to hit the brakes, I could have just let off the gas a little and continued on my merry way. Also, had I been following any closer when I glanced away, I could have had the unpleasant experience of wrecking my vehicle.

This true story is a very gentle reminder to me that when we keep our eyes on the road God has laid out before us, when we don't stray or look away, we generally reach our Destination safe and secure. However, if we look to the left by lusting after things we don't have, or look to the right by gossiping about others, or back to the left for other distractions, or back to the right at other sins, we are likely to crash.

What is your choice today? Will you keep your eyes on Christ and His Word or will you turn your eyes left or right and risk crashing? Will you choose to look forward today?

Hebrews 12:2 (NIV): Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

If you would like to receive this via email return to the home page and subscribe to the google group. Additionally, you do not have to have a blogger account to post comments.

No comments: