Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Preparing for Giving Thanks

Today a mother is dealing with the fact that her unlicensed teenage son and his sister went for a joy ride very early this morning and flipped the car into a house. There but for the grace of God go I.

Today a mother will rejoice over a child home from college for just a few days. There but for the grace of God go I.

Today a family is morning the loss of a woman who was killed in an early morning apartment fire. There but for the grace of God go I.

Today a woman is preparing for a Thanksgiving weekend wedding.There but for the grace of God go I.

Today a homeless woman in our city is wondering if she will be able to find a free meal on Thanksgiving day. There but for the grace of God go I.

Today a woman is preparing a Thanksgiving feast for all her children, grand-children, and great-grandchildren. There but for the grace of God go I.

As I prepare for Thanksgiving day my life seems rather normal, almost uneventful. And I thank God for that. When we think of Thanksgiving, we are reminded to be thankful for being exactly where we are. If we are in the midst of struggles (a child in trouble with the law, loss of a family member, unsure where our next meal will come from) we have an opportunity to look to our Loving Lord and seek His provision for our needs. If we are living life to it's fullest (successful family, family expanding, more than enough food for any and all) we have an opportunity to praise Him for his goodness and to remember that we have what we have because He supplies our needs.

I am thankful for my hubby and my son. Both are hardworking, dedicated men. I'm thankful that our Loving Lord has provided for our needs. I'm thankful that I do not have all the stress associated with being responsible for a big family meal tomorrow. Please understand that I do miss the big family gathering however I am at peace that we don't have to deal with all the 'fuss' associated with the day. I will be able to relax and give thanks to our Loving Lord for having me right where I need to be today.

Will you join me in thanking Him for his grace? If you are lonely or just missing the traditions you are used to this holiday, will you thank Him for placing you where you are? If you are in the midst of a crisis, will you take a moment to thank our Loving Lord in advance for seeing you through it? If you are preparing for the big meal and all the guests, will pause and thank Him for your family and friends, thank him for providing the food and the strength to bring it all together? Will you thank Him that he has not given you more than you need but that He has met your needs?

Philippians 4:11-12 (NIV): I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

No comments: