Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Separation

I have what I consider to be a good habit.

When it’s time to go to bed, some people fall asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow. I don’t. Left on my own, I’d toss and turn for hours. Now, if I could watch TV as I’m trying to drift off, I would be out rather quickly. However, my dear hubby needs it very quiet as he enters la la land.

The ‘good’ habit that I have developed is that I pray myself to sleep. My mind is usually very busy rehashing the events of the current day or looking forward to the events of tomorrow. So I rein in all those thoughts and take them to our Loving Lord. And like the disciples, I usually can ‘not keep watch with’ him for very long (Matthew 26:40 NIV).

However during my going to sleep time of prayer, I always find a way to be touching dear hubby. Either my knee is on his leg or my hand is on his arm or some other light touch. In my wee mind, this gives power to my prayers. Why? Because He promised “that if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 18:19 NIV) And I’m confident that what I’m praying, my dear hubby agrees with, right? OK maybe he doesn’t agree on everything but still it is a comfort to pray ‘with’ him while we both fall asleep.

Well, last night my son worked the overnight shift and today dear hubby had to work an early morning shift. When he works early mornings, he goes to bed early…and I don’t. So in order that we would not disturb each other (me disturb him when I got in bed or him disturb me when he got out), he slept in our son’s room (remember he was at work all night). I went to bed…alone…and again started praying myself to sleep. It didn’t feel right. I couldn’t touch dear hubby. I couldn’t agree by touching him. I felt a bit alone.

Not completely alone though…my girl cat, Tigger, came in cuddled with me. Sadly, I didn’t think she’d count as one of the “two of you". Still I welcomed her touch. Still I prayed and prayed myself to sleep.

I was separated from the one that I love to pray myself to sleep with.

I was NOT separated from the One that I love to pray to while falling asleep.

What is more important to you today? The love of a human touch or the love of our Loving Lord? If you are single, are you focused on finding the love of our life or the Love that gives you life? Are you separated from someone you love today? If so, are feeling separated from the One who loves you?

Romans 8:35 (NIV) Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
Romans 8:39 (NIV) neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


No comments: