Monday, November 06, 2006

Walking Paths

Today I had the privilege of visiting two parks that I have not visited in years. Both parks have walking paths that run along rivers.

We left to visit the first park shortly after breakfast. When we got to the park, we picked up a map and headed out. Along the way, we wondered "Are we going in the right direction?" so we consulted the map, checked our bearings and sure enough we were still on course. We finished the trail without incident.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have not been exercising regularly and since I finished the 1.5 mile trail with no problems, I was feeling GOOD! I was even starting to think "I may have to do this walking thing more often!"

So we all got back into the car and headed to the second park. Now in years past, I have visited this park many, many times and felt pretty sure I knew where we were going and what we would see. This park did not have maps available but that was OK. So we headed off down the trail. We walked and walked looking for one particular place in the park. We came to several 'forks' in the path and kept near the river. We did not find the point we were looking for before my legs started hurting. Bad! We finally realized that we needed to head back or I might not be able to make it back.

We decided the cause of my pain was one of two things: Lack of preparation or lack of training. Lack of training because I have not be exercising or lack of preparation in that I had not hydrated between the two short hikes.

Those of you who exercise on a regular basis probably think nothing of these two short hikes that were each probably less than 2 miles. However for someone who has not stretched these muscles in quite some time hiking around 4 miles in one day is quite an effort.

I learned from the second hike that, if I am going to continue to walk for exercise, I need to prepare and to hydrate. It is not good for my body to just start walking without stretching and having plenty of water handy.

Like my walking, what do you need to start doing in your life? Like stretching before I walk, how do you need to prepare? Like drinking plenty of water and taking a bottle with me when I walk, how will you ensure that you have on the inside what you need to be successful on the outside?

Ephesians 6:13-18 (The Message): Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.


If you would like to receive this via email return to the home page and subscribe to the google group. Additionally, you do not have to have a blogger account to post comments.

No comments: