Sunday, December 03, 2006

Anticipated Needs, Unused Gifts

Well over a month ago, maybe over two months ago, I noticed that our shower curtain had torn at that top. You know the part where the holes are that go into the hooks. About a third of the holes no longer did their jobs. The curtain was falling off of the rod.

So the next time I was at the store, I purchased a new one. A heavy duty one with metal reinforced holes. That same evening, dear hubby said to me "We need a new shower curtain. That one is in pretty bad shape." Imagine my delight when I was able to produce on the spot exactly what he was asking for. In fact I was able to present to him a better shower curtain than he expected. Since we were obviously on the same wavelength about this need, I was sure he would either take down the old one and put up the new one in short order as a way of showing his gratitude for me having anticipated his request or he would ask me to help him put it up.

So I placed the curtain in the bathroom and waited.

And waited.

I moved it next to the bathtub, perhaps as a hint, and waited.

Then today, I decided that I must want that shower curtain up more than he does. It had been long enough. So I took down the old one and put up the new one.

A little while later he commented "I see you put up the new shower curtain" and I said "You noticed"...then he asked "When did you do that?" and I replied that his answer would be in my blog. :-)

While I was hanging the curtain, I learned the Little Lesson that I hope you see as well.

Our Loving Lord knows our needs before we ever ask. He has everything lined up so that when we "let our request be made known unto Him," He is ready to supply that need "according to His riches in glory." Not according to what is on sale. Not according to what He has left over. Not according to His ability to match what we already have. According to His RICHES in glory.

So you make known your request and He supplies your need, then what? What do you do with what He gives you? Do you say "Hey thanks! Glad you're on the same wavelength with me" then set His provision down and wait to see what He is going to do next? Do you just wait to see if and when He is going to take the next step so you can thank him for "doing His job"?

Or do you acknowledge His goodness, accept His gift, and get into action? Do you take the next step and let our Loving Lord lead you as you use the gift He so graciously preselected for you?

This week will you reflect on the gifts He has given you and then will find those gifts, tangible or intangible, and pull them out and put them to their intended use?

James 1:17 (NIV): Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

No comments: