Monday, February 19, 2007

Are You Getting Mixed Messages?

As many know, I have been seeking our Loving Lord's direction regarding a new church home. Being that most churches that I might want to visit and/or join with don't advertise on big billboards or on TV, I have looked at two seminary websites to see where the men they have trained are serving. If I find a church, within reasonable distance of my home, that has one of their graduates as pastor, then I look to see if the church has a website. From the information on the website, I decide whether or not to visit the church. Or, if I have questions about the church I will send an email to see how they respond to my questions.

Such was the case with the church I wanted to visit this past Sunday. I found the church through the alumni section of one of the websites. I checked out the church's website. I liked what I saw. I had a few questions so I sent an email to them. And waited. No answer. Then I called the church office to ask the questions. I got the answering machine.

That's when the mixed messages started.

You see the website had a map with directions to the church in a building on a side street. The answering machine said that they were meeting in a skating rink. The website said the service started at 10:30. The answering machine said the service started at 10:00.

At this point I could have said "Their right hand doesn't know what their left hand is doing so why would I want to go there." However I felt that God wanted me to check out this congregation.

On Sunday morning, I still did not have the answers I needed. I still wanted to visit this church. The church is a church plant from another church in the area. So I called THAT church. The lady that answered said that she didn't know exactly where they were meeting but she knew that they were not in the skating rink anymore. Her daughter goes to the church I wanted to visit. She gave me her cell phone number. I called it. Twice. No answer. I guess she already had her phone on silence for church.

What to do? Mixed messages from different sources. Answering machine says this. Website says that. Parent church doesn't know for sure. These are 'man-made' answers. I needed the definitive authority.

I did the only thing I knew to do. I stepped out in faith. I had on good authority (parent church) that they weren't in the skating rink. So I went with the website time and place.

I got there. To the right place. On time. And I had a great morning of worship. I stepped out in faith and our Loving Lord led me right where I needed to be.

Are you getting mixed messages in your life? Is your Bible study teacher saying one thing while your devotional book is implying something different? Is the doctrine you were taught as a child conflicting with the teaching of your local church today?

The Word of our Loving Lord NEVER CHANGES! His truth is the always the same. When men give you their interpretation of Biblical teaching, you may hear/read mixed messages. IF SO, go to the Source. Go the authoritative Word. Men are fallible but God's Word is infallible.

If you think you are getting mixed messages, our Loving Lord may be trying to teach you to rely more on HIM and less on others. He may want you in His Word more. He may be trying to speak directly to you!

Will you listen? Will you trust Him? Will you read his Message instead of using someone else's thoughts to learn His thoughts and His ways? Will you step out and faith and follow His lead?

Hebrews 13:8 (NIV) Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
1 Peter 1:25 (Amplified) But the Word of the Lord ( divine instruction,
the Gospel) endures forever. And this Word is the good news which was preached
to you.

No comments: