Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Are You Playing Too Fast?

I play a lot of Solitaire as a mindless activity. While playing, I get to think about the other things I need to be working on. I am actually inspired for my other projects while I'm playing. I know it sounds strange but for me doing a mindless activity allows my mind to focus on other things.

Now here's what happens when I play Solitaire. I usually start out quite well. Moving cards and moving on. Early on in the game I wonder "Will the cards fall in the right order for me to win?" I usually start out with rather low expectations of winning so I watch every card very carefully. I try not to miss any plays.

Then.

Then the cards all start 'playing'. I turn up all of the Kings. I play off all of the Aces. Then I get excited. I'm going to win! It's only 1/2 way through the game but I have this thing won! I am so proud of myself. Proud of the way I play this game. I am the Queen of Solitaire! Yahoo!

Then.

The cards stop playing. Nothing will play. I had got ahead of myself. Instead of playing the game one card at a time and seeing where it was going, I jumped ahead and claimed victory before I was ready.

As I see it, this is how we sometimes do with our walk with our Loving Lord. We start out tentatively, wonder where He might lead us. We carefully watch all of our 'cards'. We carefully put one foot in front of the other.

Then things start falling into place. This seems easy. Seems like we have everything under control. So we start running. Running without thought. Running on our own.

We forget that we are not in control. We forget that we need to continue to exercise caution in our steps. Yes we need to move out in faith however we need to move out in faith under His careful guideance, not on our own.

So the cards stop falling in place. Things are not going our way. What do we do then? Our Loving Lord is still waiting for us right where we left Him. We can't undo the cards that have been played but we can return to Him and hand the cards back over to Him and let Him turn them up for us as he sees fit.

Will you give Him your complete deck today? Will you let Him shuffle them up and redeal them according to His plan for your life?

Proverbs 16:19 (New International Version) Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.

No comments: