Thursday, March 01, 2007

Who Knows Your Name?

Last Sunday I visited the church I had visited the Sunday before. As soon as I got there, a man I had met on the first Sunday greeted me by name. Then the pastor came over to welcome me, again by name. And several others said they were glad I had returned ... as they all called me by name. I remembered very few of their names but they all remembered mine. Well, to be fair, they only needed to remember one name and I had many to remember.

Recently I had lunch with some former coworkers. It was a surprise to many that I was coming to the lunch. As most of them arrived at the restaurant, they appeared to be happy to see me again. Most called me by name. It made me feel great to be warmly greeted by name when seeing old friends. One person in the group did not greet me by name. That person did not greet me with a smile either. They know my name but elected not to use it.

Does it make you feel special to hear your name?

There is an enemy that doesn't want you to feel all warm and fuzzy. He may purposely not use your name. He may even try to mar your name so that others will shy away from using it.

There is Someone who knows your name and always welcomes you. Someone who is always glad to hear from you.


Have you visited with our Loving Lord one-on-one lately? Will you take time today to thank Him for calling you by name? Will you call Him by name today as a way of showing your love for Him?

About your name:
Isaiah 49:1 (NIV) Listen to me, you islands; hear this, you distant nations: Before I was born the LORD called me; from my birth he has made mention of my name.

About His name:
Isaiah 9:6b (KJV) and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

No comments: