Thursday, April 19, 2007

Are These Free?

It's not often you have a memorable experience at your local wally-world.

However I recently did.

When I was growing up and shopping with my Mom, whenever we would get to the register and something didn't have a price tag on it (before the days of scanning UPC codes) she'd look at the cashier, smile, and say "It must be free today".

We'd all chuckle and the cashier would find out the price and Mom would pay and we'd be on our way.

Of course, I shop almost exactly like my mom today.

So when I was in line at wally-world and the cashier was trying to ring up an item that wouldn't scan, I said "Hmmm they must be free today". I was surprised almost speechless by her reply. She said...

"Girl you know ain't nothin' free except salvation and even that was bought with a price!"

Wow! What a witness! She didn't know me at all and sure didn't know whether or not I was a believer. Imagine if that would have been the first time that I had heard the good news! She just slid that witness right in there smooth as butter.

I quickly composed my surprise and answered "And what a price He paid!" I can only hope our conversation was overheard by the people behind me in line.

How many of us are willing to share our faith that openly in the course of doing our everyday jobs? How about you? Will you commit to find the opportunities to slip in the Good News of our Loving Lord as you go to work this week? Will you let those around you know that you are not ashamed of the His Word?

Romans 1:16 (The Message) It's news I'm most proud to proclaim, this extraordinary Message of God's powerful plan to rescue everyone who trusts him, starting with Jews and then right on to everyone else!

1 comment:

Connie Barris said...

Doesn't that give you chills when someone witnesses like that... and you know you have met a kindred spirit that you will meet again?

love it!!

Connie