Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Are You Doing What You Know To Do?

Remember recently when I told you about the storms that blew through our area? Well, they threatened again last night.

Last time, while watching the weather on TV as I was home alone, I was told the tornado sirens were going off in my county. I couldn't hear them inside my home. So I went to the door and opened it and sure enough, if I listened hard enough through the wind and hail, I could hear them.

This time dear hubby was home and he took on the responsibility of watching the weather warnings on TV. He said that it looked like the storm was moving our way .... again! So I did what they always tell you to do ... I went to take a bath! Well I guess they actually tell you to get IN the bathtub for protection not to TAKE a bath.

Anyway as I was getting in the tub, I heard this wail outside. A siren? A tornado siren? That I could actually hear in my home? So I called dear hubby to check it out. Sure enough this time I could hear the siren. So I went ahead with my bath and asked dear hubby to get the flashlight and weather radio so we would be ready (ready after I finished my bath of course) and to keep watching the news to see where the storm was going. Fortunately for us, we just got some wind and rain. No hail this time. And again, with much thanks to our Loving Lord, no tornado in our area. (And for anyone who is concerned, we also had no lightening in our area so I probably wasn't at risk of electrocution.)

Two storms. Both with warnings. Both needing me to take the actions I know to take. And what did I do?

The first time I gathered my supplies and continued to stay in harms way as I watched the events unfold outside my window. Heavy hail and wind and rain with a tornado warning (the tornado touched down just about 8 miles away) and instead of moving to the interior of the house, I stood and watched from my glass door.

The second time I let dear hubby gather the supplies and I took a bath instead of getting in the tub for safety. Heavy wind and rain and a tornado warning and I leave it to someone else to get our preparations together and I take a bath.

Do I know the warning signs? Yes! Do I know what I am supposed to do when sirens wail? Yes! Did I instead do what I wanted to do like watch hail like I've never seen before or take a bath because that's what I had planned to do? Um, Uh, yeah....

So what are YOU going to do? Are you going to continue doing what you want? Continue doing what pleases you? Continuing letting others get prepared on your behalf? Or are you going to do what you KNOW to do? Are you going to prepare for the storms ahead of time by getting in His Word and staying in constant communication with Him?

2 Timothy 2:20-22 (New International Version)
20 In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble.
21 If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.
22 Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

No comments: