Thursday, April 12, 2007

Are You What You Say You Are?

A few years back, I accepted a position as a Technical Writer at a major corporation. For years prior to that time, I had written technical documentation for other major companies. Way back in the dark ages when I was in college, we did not have a the option of majoring in something called "Technical Writing". I guess it was possible that you could have majored in English with a Business minor or something like that. In the early part of my career, technical writing was 'caught' not 'taught'.

In recent years, most universities have added this new major. You can even get a Masters in Technical Writing or, as some schools call it, Technical Communications.

So when I went to work with the title of Technical Writer, one of my co-workers who was also a Tech Writer came up to me and said "Are you a Technical Writer?" To which I replied, "I have written technical documentation for many years." And she said "But are you a TECHNICAL WRITER?" and I again said that yes my past jobs have required me to do a lot of technical writing. And again she asked "But ARE YOU a TECHNICAL WRITER? See we (and she waved her had around to indicate the other two members of our Tech Writer team), we have all been to school and studied Technical Writing and we all have a degree in technical writing. So are YOU a technical writer?"

Stunned, I answered, "Well, no I do not have a degree in technical writing. However I have more real world experience than the average recent college grad would have and I do know what I am doing and I have accepted the responsibilities of technical writing and my title is Technical Writer, so YES! I am a Technical Writer."

So in reminiscing about this recently, I got to thinking...what qualifications do we require of others who call themselves Christians. Do we call someone a Christian just because they grew up in the church? Do we call someone a Christian just because they attended a Christian college or seminary? Do we call someone a Christian just because they have studied the Bible as a book and can quote some scriptures? Do we call someone a Christian just because they live a good, moral life?

We can only call someone a Christian when they have the real world experience of accepting our Loving Lord as their personal Lord and Savior. They may have the education but if they haven’t had the encounter, they don't have the evidence of eternal life.

Are you following our Loving Lord today? Have you accepted His free gift of salvation? Or are you relying on your education without ever having experienced an encounter with His saving grace? If you have never accepted Him as Lord and Savior, will you do so today?

1 Corinthians 1:20-25 (New Living Translation) So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world’s brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look foolish. Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe. It is foolish to the Jews, who ask for signs from heaven. And it is foolish to the Greeks, who seek human wisdom. So when we preach that Christ was crucified, the Jews are offended and the Gentiles say it’s all nonsense. But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength.


5 comments:

Connie Barris said...

I bet she was confused...

But wow.. what a great point made..

I'm going to have to stick with 2nd cup of coffee's motto...
write like you never went to college...
I stink....praise God for spell checker and grammar checker...

You do write beautifully

Connie

Sharon said...

Thank you Connie! You are a great encourager.

Good thing my high school Advanced Grammar and Composition teacher can't read this blog...I take way too much literary license. Heehee.

PS...you write fantastically!

Linda said...

Sharon, I really liked this post. Your point was well-taken and laid out precision-sharp. Best post I've read all day.

Sharon said...

Thank you Linda. I continue to be amazed myself at what God uses these little fingers to write. He deserves ALL the honor and glory.

student55 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.