Monday, April 23, 2007

How Accurate Are You?

Over the weekend, I received a voicemail message on my cell phone from someone I did not know. The caller had obviously (obvious to me but not to her) misdialed and left the message on the wrong phone. Maybe her finger slipped just to the left or to the right and she hit a wrong number.

When I was taking a telephone survey over the weekend, I had to press 5 for excellent, 4 for pretty good, etc. I had to keep feeling for that little bump that is on the 5 key to be sure that my finger was starting on the right key as it navigated to the 4,3,2, or 1. As long as I started at the right point, I could get to the right key without having to look every time. But if I started from the left or right of the 5 key, then the wrong response would be recorded.

As I type this and other documents, I must keep my left pointer finger on the F key and my right pointer finger on the J key or else instead of getting something comprehensible you might hry dp,yjomh ;olr yjod (uh excuse me my hand slipped...I meant to type 'get something like this'). See what having your hands just one letter to the right can do when you are typing? However, I know that if I start in the right place with my hands on the 'home row' and on the right key, I should be able to type coherently with very few mistakes. And I know that I'm on the home row because of the raised bump on the home keys of J and F.

When you dial up our Loving Lord, if you dial through the blood of the Lamb you won't reach a wrong number. However if you slip and try to dial Him through any other name like Buddha or Mohammad or Moon, you will be leaving a message on the wrong machine. If you slip off the home keys towards other focuses like self-actualization or theistic views that are not Biblically sound, you will find yourself not sending the correct message.

If you start out your day in the right position with prayer and scripture reading, you will be less likely to make typos in your day. Less likely to send the wrong message.

If you are part of a solid, Biblically based church that preaches from the scriptures instead of preaching from the written works of modern day authors, your foundation will be secure and with your hands on the home row, you will be able to share the truth with accuracy.

Are your hands securely on the home keys today or have you slipped off course? Are you dailing up our Loving Lord with your fingers on the right keys or you trying to do things your own way? If you have strayed away from Him, will you return home to Him today?

Matthew 7:13-14 (The Message and New International Version)

13-14"Don't look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don't fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires total attention. (The Message)

13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. (New International Version)

1 comment:

Connie Barris said...

I love that verse.... and often wonder if the narrow gate and broad road referred to in John 10:10,was the abundant life that Jesus spoke of?
many of us never experience it on earth... Letting Satan rob us of it.

what cha think?

just a thought...