Tuesday, April 24, 2007

How Far Will You Go For What You Are Searching For?

Recently on another blog that I read, Learning for a Lifetime, I learned about the book "Same Kind of Different As Me" and it sounded very, very intriguing! Oh the Little Lessons I could write so far about this but let me start here...

This book sounded so interesting and from what I had read about the book, it seemed that the story took place not far from where I live...that made it even more appealing ... to know it was a 'local' story.

So I decided I had to read this book.

After lunch on Saturday, I went to LifeWay to buy it. They didn't have it.

Went to Family Christian, told me without even looking it up that the publisher was having a hard time keeping up with demand.

Hmmm...tried the library. Our library didn't have it so the librarian looked it up at other libraries...all copies were either checked out or on reserve. Phooey!

Called Half-Price Books to see if someone had sold it there...no luck!

I couldn't get the book and now I wanted it more than ever before!

So after church on Sunday we drove up to the outlet mall to see if Books-A-Million had it. Nope! They could order it but they didn't have it in stock.

We then decided to go to the Bible Book outlet in the mall to see if they had it. As we approached the door, we saw that there were "Store Closing" sale signs. Oh Bother! If they were going out of business, I was pretty sure they wouldn't have this apparently 'hard to find' book. HOWEVER if they were going out of business, I was pretty sure I could get a good deal on SOMETHING that I wanted to read. Their books were all 70% off! So in we went. I found two books on the first shelf that I had wanted to read so I picked them up and kept shopping.

Wandered around for a while. Checked out several types of books. Then I looked down on this one shelf and there it was! There it was! Correction: there THEY were. Not just one copy of this hard to find book but SEVEN copies of "Same Kind of Different As Me!" YES!!!

So of course I bought two copies so I can read it twice.


Nooooo... I bought two copies to give one as a gift.

I was ready to give up looking for this book when we approached the last store and saw it was going out of business. Ready to wait until I found it online or ran into it somewhere. I was sure glad that I went just a little bit further. Glad that I went in where I was sure there was defeat and found victory.


What are you searching for today? Where have you looked for it? Have you looked for people to lead you instead of following our Loving Lord? Have you read books instead of reading His Word? Have you avoided going somewhere where you could face defeat and thereby missed the victory He had waiting for you? How far will you go today in your search for a deeper knowledge of our Loving Lord?

Jeremiah 29:13 (The Message) "When you come looking for me, you'll
find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than
anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed." God's Decree.


4 comments:

Connie Barris said...

ok... Now I have to go get the book and read it.. I don't even know what it's about.... smile

don't you want to start screaming out loud for people to share your joy... see what God did for me?!?!

by the way, missy... we should both be ashamed.. we should both be a CANE fan....so there!!!!

blessings.....

Sharon @ Little Lessons said...

The tag line for the book is "A modern day slave, an international art dealer, and the unlikely woman that brought them together"

And YES! GOD IS SO GOOD!

OH No! Not the 'Canes...I don't like them like I don't like the Gators. So much for hometown pride, huh? But I do still like the M. Dolphins as long as they are not playing the J. Jaguars(my all time favorite team!)

Connie Barris said...

I thought for a minute you were going to say...
I do not like the canes, I do not like the Gators.. I do not like Green eggs and Ham...

I got tickled...

Look, We all have our sins... YOURS will just have to be that you don't like the Gators... what can I say....!!!!!

love ya though

Sharon @ Little Lessons said...

You crack me up!

Guess we will just agree to disagree on college teams...sigh.

I would repent of my ways but then I'd have to 'turn away from' them and I just can't do that to my beloved Seminoles!

love ya back!