Saturday, April 28, 2007

What Tailgater Is Putting You At Risk?

Driving to work one day this week, as I turned onto a two lane road, I checked my rear view mirror and saw this person tailgating me. I can't stand tailgaters. They make me want to slow down just because I'm ahead of them and I can.

Anyway, when we got to the stop sign, I was in the left turn lane and the tailgater was in the right turn lane. Good! Now he won't be on my tail.

So I turn and look in my rear view again. Another tailgater! Arggghhhh! And now we are on a six lane road and I'm in the far right lane. If he's in such a hurry, why doesn't he go around me? So I keep driving. Finally Mr. Tailgater the second prepares to turn and since I am going straight, I am relieved.

So I go continue through the intersection and check my rear view mirror. WHAT?!?!? Another tailgater? Where ARE these people coming from? Do I attract people that "drive hazardously close to the rear of another moving vehicle"? (Dictionary.com definition) All I want to do is safely drive the speed limit and obey the traffic laws. These people seem to want me to drive faster or break some other traffic law.

Isn't that how temptation is? We are going along the path of life, minding our own business, following the rules, when we look up and see temptation in our rear view mirror. Temptation saying "go faster", "try this", "swerve off the straight path and do that"... And what do we do? Do we do what is right ignoring the temptation? Do we have the strength to avoid temptation's calling? Or do we yield and let temptation have it's way? Do we speed when we know we shouldn't? Do we give in to our desires instead of following the commands of our Loving Lord?

What will you do when you see temptation in your lane? How will you avoid it? What weapons of the faith will you use to defeat temptation?

1 Corinthians 10:13 (The Message) No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it.

2 comments:

Connie Barris said...

Good saturday morning... We are having awesome weather...

I "Used to" hate... and would actually agitate tailgaters... I'm so glad that is one temptation I have passed... I just turn up the music and ignore them... unless they pull a gun out... ouch..

but I have others.. oh my!!

I wished I could just turn the music up on those..

Have a great weekend....

Connie

Susan said...

Great post and reminder. I do my best to ignore them...sometimes I win and sometimes I don't.

Thank you for your well-wishes on my blog this week. I have added your link to my blogroll.

Hugs.

:-) Susan