Tuesday, May 01, 2007

What Are You Doing With The Warnings?

When I see a headline on the Internet that says something like "Twisters possible for the Plains", I tend to skip the story and think "Who wants to hear THAT?!?!?" I don't want to hear about possible storms! I want to enjoy the day! I don't want to hear about possible storms nearby nor far away.

Dear hubby on the other hand gravitates to these stories. Anything to do with any weather related event gets his attention. He not only hears the stories, he hears and heeds the warnings.

In our home, I'm known as the optimist and he is known as the pessimist. I once heard each described as "An pessimist sees the problem in every opportunity and the optimist sees the opportunity in every problem."

My optimism tends to lead me to think "Well those storms aren't forecasted for here so why worry" and his pessimism leads him to think "If the storms are there now, they are probably heading our way or at least we will get some of the spin off". So he makes preparation. He shares his concern for our safety and suggests that I get prepared as well. Sometimes he is right.

I like my view of the weather but it's not always the wise view. I worry less because of my view but I put myself at risk.

What about the storms of life?

What do you do when the storms of life are happening around you? Do you treat them like I treat the weather? Do you say "too bad that's happening over there, I'm sure glad it's not in my backyard"? Do you worry less and put yourself at risk?

Or do you treat the storms of life like dear hubby treats the weather? Do you make preparation in case the storm hits your home? Are you well grounded and prepared for the storm before it even has a chance to make it to your home?

When another family experiences divorce, do you say "Glad it's them and not me" or do you say "What do I need to do in my home to prevent that from happening to us"?

When you hear of someone facing bankruptcy, do you say "Too bad they never learned to manage money" or do you say "Let's go over our budget to ensure we haven't missed anything that can lead us there too"?

When a friend finds out they have an illness that could have been prevented through diet and exercise, do you say "Serves them right for not taking care of themselves" or do you ask yourself "Am I eating and exercising properly"?

When someone you love leaves the Church for the world, do you say "I always knew they were a phoney and a fake" or do you ask yourself "How could I have not known what they were going through? What do I need to do to ensure my walk is solid and to reach out to others who may be weak"?

What will you do today to prepare for the potential storms in and around your life? Will you choose today to be proactive in your approach to storm preparation?

Check out Acts 27:13-26 for a great story on going through a storm.
Proverbs 10:25 (New International Version) When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever.

4 comments:

Connie Barris said...

Yes... what a precious way to look at life...

I too am the glass half full and married to the glass half empty.

blessings...

Sharon @ Little Lessons said...

Connie,
And what a challenge it is...Just this morning I asked Dear Hubby if it was possible for him to be positive and optimistic for even two straight hours! Ha! Oh but the fun conversations we have because of the different ways we look at life...besides if we weren't so different, I might have missed 'this' Little Lesson, right?

Connie Barris said...

yes you are right....

God definitely brought us half full half empties together for a reason...

otherwise, there would be empty glasses out there... LOL

I'm ignoring the fact that there might be full glasses....oh, I might just smack them a time or two...nah...

Connie Barris said...

hey... girl.. checking on you...

happy hump day...