Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Where Is Your Joy?

Recently I went to the grocery store on my way home and I was in a great mood that day. So I turned into the grocery store parking lot, just expecting to find a parking space, go in, buy what I need, come out and go home. Right as I turned into the lot, this other driver cut me off. They were driving way to fast for a parking lot and absolutely not paying attention. I avoided getting hit but boy did it change my mood. I was not in a great mood any longer. I guess you could say my joy was fleeing me.

Last night we went to the Ballpark in Arlington to see our beloved Texas Rangers take on the New York Yankees. We were excited to go to this game because, even though both teams are in last place in their respective divisions, we had won more games than them so far this season. It is a rare event when the Yankees come into The Ballpark in Arlington with a worse record than the Rangers and even rarer event when the Yankees are in last place. So we felt very good about are chances to beat them. By the middle of the 3rd inning, it was NY 6, TX 0...we were down but not out. My joy bubble was leaking but it had not burst.


By the middle of the 5th it was NY 9, TX 0...POP all joy had left the bubble.

Now I'm a "it's not over till the fat lady sings" kind of person but I was tired and I could stay and watch my team play that bad. So we left in the 6th inning. Many people stayed because the other team's rookie pitcher was pitching a no-hitter against us. If he succeeded then it would be the 2nd no hitter pitched against us this year. Also a rare event. But in the 7th inning, their pitcher pulled a hamstring and had to leave the game and give up on his no-hitter. The Yankee fans lost some of their joy at that moment but their team went on to win 10-1 so they left the Ballpark with joy anyway.

Joy.
What is it?
Where does it come from?
What affects it?

One acronym for JOY is:
Jesus first
Others second
Yourself last

Dictionary.com says joy is "the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying"

Did you see that? ... Joy is "caused by something exceptionally good". What is the most "exceptionally good" thing that we know? The answer is obviously our Loving Lord. If our Loving Lord is with us and in us all the time and if he is the 'cause' of our 'great delight' then how can we let a car cutting us off or our favorite team taking a nosedive against our biggest rival still our joy?

When life happens today, will you remember that your joy comes from our Loving Lord and not from circumstances of this world? When you meet someone today that has lost their smile, will you share your Joy with them? Will you introduce them to the Supplier of all joy?


Psalm 16:11 (Amplified Bible) You will show me the path of life;
in
Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are
pleasures forevermore.

2 comments:

Connie Barris said...

How about Joy in the midst of trials... ?

sorry about the day...

ok.. admit it you wanted to pinch the guys head off...

but we don't... we pray.. we forgive... and we learn...

and then we laugh.... and wonder where these people come from...

thanks for sharing...

bless you...

Susan said...

Oh it's so easy to let joy go right out the window when small stuff happens, isn't it?? I think it's so important to realize that joy is different from happiness. Joy is deeper in my opinion.

May your joy be full today.

Hugs!!

:-) Susan