Thursday, June 21, 2007

Do You Care What You Dream?

Do our nighttime dreams have meaning? I know they did in Old Testament times. I know there are people today who make their living telling you they can interpret your dreams.

Most of my dreams are, uhm, just plain weird. They make no sense. They have improbable things go on. I dream things like being back in college but my sister (I have no sister) is my roommate and the campus is nothing like my college but the name is the same. Improbable that it could ever happen.

Do you talk about your nighttime dreams? Do you talk about them before breakfast? My grandmother always said "Don't talk about your dreams before breakfast or the bad ones will come true and the good ones won't." What about the weird and improbable ones?

Well, last night I had more weird dreams. A long time friend of my that I don't get to see as often as I would like was in my dream. We were at some kind of social event. Our families were there. She introduced me to hers (her in-my-dream family which is nothing like her real family at all) and then we went off to the side and had a private conversation. In my dream I felt that I had to ask her if there was something I could pray about for her. She said "Yes" and then told me about some cable TV offer she was trying to get but couldn't.

Now if you knew my friend, she would indeed trust our Loving Lord to take care of every small detail in her life but I don't think she would ever ask a friend to pray about a cable offer. Still in my dream this was a very serious conversation and I was so glad that we had talked and she had shared.

Then I woke up. Woke up thinking about my friend. Thinking "How CAN I pray for her, I wonder?" I refused to think that it was 'just another of my weird dreams' so I sent her an email and told her about my dreams and then I asked "So? How CAN I pray for you?"

Our Loving Lord. Isn't He the best? My friend is under quite a bit of stress right now and she thanked our Loving Lord that He led me to ask her this simple question, and she was able to share her burden with me and now I am able to join with her in prayer as she works toward meeting a stretch goal that she has.

Had I just passed this off as another one of my weird dreams, I would have missed out on the blessing of being able to support her in prayer. I expected her answer to be something personal or family related but it was business related. Without contacting her, I would have simply prayed for her family and not for the specific thing that she desired that I join her in prayer over.

Have you dreamed about an old friend lately? Or even dreamed about any friend? If so, will you take a minute today to contact that friend either by phone or email or instant message and let them know you'd love to pray for them? Then, will you? Will you pray for whatever is on their heart? Will you contact them, listen to them, and pray 'without ceasing' for them today?

Matthew 5:33-37 (The Message)

Empty Promises

"And don't say anything you don't mean. This counsel is embedded deep in our traditions. You only make things worse when you lay down a smoke screen of pious talk, saying, 'I'll pray for you,' and never doing it, or saying, 'God be with you,' and not meaning it. You don't make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true. Just say 'yes' and 'no.' When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong.


3 comments:

Connie Barris said...

Acts 2:17 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams

I dream a lot... sometimes I do know God is speaking to me in my dreams.... so before you click off my comment and say she is weird... it says so right here in this scripture..
I know sometimes the words are so intimate.. that I just keep them quietly to myself... I embrace them.
But it's pretty awesome...

ps.. I heard that saying about not sharing your dreams before breakfast.. so just to be sure.. I don't unless I want it come true... LOL

Connie Barris said...

WAKE UP.. it's saturday.. you sleep head... come out and play

smile

have a blessed weekend

Sharon @ Little Lessons said...

NO!!!! Like you said...it's Saturday and for once I actually was able to sleep in!

OK. I'm up now and, boy, if I could make sense of those extra dreams I had, I think I'd have a good post. HA!