Monday, June 18, 2007

Is What You Are Doing What You Should Be Doing?

We just returned from a cruise to Cabo San Lucas and Ensenda, Mexico. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on the ship. It was a wonderful and relaxing time at sea.

At sea, using the Internet is very expensive so, as you noticed, I have not posted any Little Lessons in a while. Oh there were many to write and I may even be able to recall some of them so that I can share them with you at a later date.

When we got home of course we wanted to share the pictures we took. I spent some time on the PC on Sunday putting them in a PowerPoint slide show. I put together a nice presentation with captions. I could hardly wait to email it to family and friends.

One of my blog-friends, Connie at Little Red Hearts From God, received the email and sent me this encouraging note of reply:

I loved the vacation pictures.. they were incredible...
now get back to posting...

How do you smile with delight that a friend likes your work and at the same time jump out of the way so she won't keep stepping on your toes?

I enjoyed my break, sabbatical, furlow, and it would have been very easy to get lax and let the blogs ride for a few more days. But God gives us accountability partners to keep us on track. To keep us doing what we need to be doing. Connie granted me the enjoyment of the time off yet quickly reminded me of one of my responsibilities. She is holding me accountable to what God has led me to do.

Have you previously worked diligently in a ministry (choir, teaching, writing, coaching, nursery, etc.) then had a much deserved break? What did you do next? Did you get right back to work or did you make those that kept things going in your absence continue to cover for you until someone new could be found to do 'your' job? If you dropped the ball, will you consider me your temporary accountability partner and decide right now how you will get back in the game? Then will you let me know what your action plan is to start once again doing what you should be doing?

1 Corinthians 3:13 (Amplified Bible) The work of each [one] will become [plainly, openly] known (shown for what it is); for the day [of Christ] will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the work each person has done.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I'm on a "break" of sorts right now. My DH just stopped pastoring after 20+ years in ministry. I've been by his side for 20 years and now we are not the "first couple" of the church...nor am I expected to do everything that no one else is doing.

It's been nice to sit in church with him and just BE...and then volunteer when we want to...but I know that the time is coming when I'll have to put my leadership gift back into practice and "get busy" again. This time, though, I want it to be doing what God wants me to do...not just what "needs to be done".

Thanks for sharing!!

:-) Susan

Sharon @ Little Lessons said...

Sabbaticals often last a long time. Enjoy the rest. God will give you a nudge when the time is right to go back to 'work' in ministry positions.

Connie Barris said...

Big difference.. yes.. in Resting and a sabbatical.. remember. I was at that place of a sabbatical not too long ago.. and needed it.... but then the time came where I needed to be back where God called me...
we each know where and when that is if we listen...
and yes we do have each other to pull us along the way (sometimes in a little red wagon).. when we need it... but we also have each other to help us rest when we need it...

very well said Sharon....lovely..

ps.. I finally signed up on faithwriters.com and I posted two things on poetry...

blessings...