Thursday, June 28, 2007

What Is Your Preference?

My son loves cucumbers...hates pickles.
My sister-in-law loves pickles...hates cucumbers.
My brother, as a kid, loved ketchup but wouldn't touch a tomato.
I love to drive but hate traffic.
I love, absolutely love to read but I absolutely, positively do not like literature!

How is it that we can love one component of something but not the other? Like I said, I love to read but please do not put me in a literature class and ask me to find the deep dark hidden meanings behind what the non-present author meant. Come on now, if these people can write good enough to be published, don't ya think they can express what they are thinking with straight out words instead of hidden messages? But I digress.

I was sitting at lunch recently when the first five statements above came to me. And it, of course, got me thinking about a Little Lesson :-)

What is it that we like/don't like in our churches? Do we like 'the church' but not the people who go there? Do we like 'worshipping there' but not the music they play? Do we like the "Sunday School Class" but not the teacher? Do we like the "missions emphasis" but don't send me on one of those trips? Do we like when "the preacher preaches a good one" as long as he doesn't step on my toes?

In food, it's okay to like something raw or prepared and not like it prepared or raw. But to do this in our lives or in the church is sort of like saying I like my personality but I don't like me. You are you. All of you is you. You are a whole package...just like the church.

Is there an area of discontent in our life that you need to hand over to our Loving Lord so that He can help you develop a taste for the whole package? Are you willing to accept the whole body of our Loving Lord without qualification? Will you let go of your divisive spirit and let Him unify what needs unifying?

Titus 3:8-11 (The Message) I want you to put your foot down. Take a firm stand on these matters so that those who have put their trust in God will concentrate on the essentials that are good for everyone. Stay away from mindless, pointless quarreling over genealogies and fine print in the law code. That gets you nowhere. Warn a quarrelsome person once or twice, but then be done with him. It's obvious that such a person is out of line, rebellious against God. By persisting in divisiveness he cuts himself off.

3 comments:

Connie Barris said...

I'm trying to think of something I can say I like / dislike...

I can say one thing I'm terrible at but do daily..

writing... I don't have a lick of sense at grammar.. but writing for God is a whole different thing..

I get the hibbiejibbies when I have to write.. unless it's for God...

this was great.. and I don't read a lot out of Titus.. so thanks for sharing out of this book

love ya
Connie

Susan said...

Our pastor is reading a book right now that is interesting with the "younger generation". The book is called, "The Like Jesus, but not the Church". It talks about all the things that drive younger people away from the church...

There are so many angles from which to approach this question, aren't there?'

Blessings to you!!

:-) Susan

Connie Barris said...

come and visit me...