Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Will You Be On Time?

My dear hubby had it all planned out. He had made a list to ensure that each and every detail was taken care of. When his plan had a few hiccups, he quickly found a 'plan b'.

Throughout the day, he worked to ensure that this was a very special evening. He went to buy some simple flowers for the table but couldn't find what he wanted. Plan B. He bought a taper candle holder and a taper candle. Red candle. Silver holder. Red to match the place mats. Silver for 25 years of marriage.

He bought the lasagna, salad, and cheesecake and read the instructions at least four times to ensure that everything would be just right. Called me to ensure that he knew what time I would be home so that he could have everything ready when I walked through the door. I said I was leaving by 5:00 and would be home before 5:30.

He put the DVD in the player and made sure it was ready to go at the touch of a button. (More on this later.) Then he switched the sound system to music and put on the perfect easy listening background music for a romantic dinner at home.

Everything was perfect. Now he just needed me to get home.

At 5:10, I called to say I was just now leaving. That 10 minutes makes a world of difference in my drive-home traffic. The long light that I have to sit through if I leave that late was backed up way beyond where I had ever seen it. Then the rest of the way home, I hit almost every light red. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get home as quickly as I wanted to.

But I did get home. And when I did...This was waiting for me:




The food was ready and the candle was lit. However due to my lateness, the bread was a tad crisp and the candle wax was dripping on the new tablecloth that he had bought. (Which by the way also had silver in the design.) Still we had a great dinner, great conversation. (First time in a very long time that we had dinner at home with no TV on and no interruptions.)

We exchanged cards. His card for me was a perfect husband-to-wife 25th anniversary card. After dinner he gave me his labor of love. A DVD with photos set to music that showed everything from where we met to: where we were engaged, where we got married, the birth of our son, our various houses, favorite vacation spots, extended family, and more. To prepare me, he gave me this:





He fully expected me to cry throughout the DVD...and most women in my position would have...but I didn't. I just grinned like the cat that ate the canary. I was so happy I thought it was my wedding day all over again. I'm weird like that. Sentimental things make me happy, ecstatic...but rarely make me cry. I think it was his only disappointment of the evening.

A perfect night. Beautiful memories. And I was 'almost' too late to enjoy it at it's best.

Our Loving Lord has a beautiful plan for you as well. Are you living in it or are you running late? Will you check-in with Him today and see where He needs you to be and when He needs you to be there?


Song of Solomon 2:4 (Amplified Bible) He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love [for love waved as a protecting and comforting banner over my head when I was near him].








1 comment:

Susan said...

What a GREAT post! Your husband did a great job. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your special day.

:-) susan