Friday, July 06, 2007

Is What You Are Offering Empty Or Full?

Recently, I visited a sandwich place near my work. They had a sign near the beverage center that read "We want to hear your comments on our new sweet tea!"

Now I L.O.V.E sweet tea so I was ready to try it! Ready to let them hear what I had to say about it.

(For those of you in the South, this may be a shock to you, but sweet tea is NOT readily available in most restaurants once you leave the southeast. For those of you in the North, sweet tea is made by adding the sugar or sweetener to your tea as soon as it brews, while it's still hot, then bringing the tea to ice cold serving temperature and still serving it with ice...YUM!!!)

So I filled my glass with ice...put it under the spout where the 'new sweet tea' would be coming out and....

Nothing.

Empty.

Sigh.

So I filled my glass with unsweet tea and added the pink packets of sweetener to it. I was so disappointed. They advertised 'sweet tea' so I expected sweet tea...but it was empty.

I wonder if that is what our unchurched friends find when we invite them to join us on our journey. I wonder if we 'advertise' that we are walking a spirit-filled life but when they need us all we give them is platitudes so they find us 'empty'. I wonder if we tell them about the great fellowship that can be found in a Christ-centered church so they go and visit but no one welcomes them, everyone just welcomes each other, the ones they know, so our friends leave having found the church 'empty'.

What are you offering to those around you today? Are you offering them a friend that is full of the Spirit of our Loving Lord or are you simply offering them a dry, empty nothingness? Are you doing your part to let visitors at your church know that our Loving Lord 'sweetens' your church with His love or are you letting them find your church empty and hollow? What can you do this weekend to show the love of our Lord to one person who lives in your neighborhood or visits your church so that they will find the 'container' full instead of empty?

2 Corinthians 4:5-6 (The Message)Remember, our Message is not about ourselves; we're proclaiming Jesus Christ, the Master. All we are is messengers, errand runners from Jesus for you. It started when God said, "Light up the darkness!" and our lives filled up with light as we saw and understood God in the face of Christ, all bright and
beautiful


3 comments:

Susan said...

And I wonder if sometimes we "look" like sweet tea...but there is bitterness or some other ugly thing dwelling there??? Great post as usual.

Hugs!!

:-) Susan

Connie Barris said...

I like what Susan said...

by the way, I tagged you on a fun little Jesus meme

Connie Barris said...

I'm drinking my sweet tea right now...

ok it's made with equal but it's kind of sweet..

Sharon,, there is a devotional in there...

on your mark, get set,,,,,,GO