Monday, July 02, 2007

Thank You, An Update On Today, And What Matters

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement today.

So let's catch up from my last post.

Dear Hubby was home today so he went out and cleaned out the drainage paths, dug under the fence some more (more rain is expected every day this week so we need to be prepared) and searched for the source of the water in the big room.

In the midst of his search for the source of the water, nature helped him out...it started raining, again. With more water falling, more came in the room. He found part of the reason had to do with a hole in the gutter downspout that caused water to pool where water shouldn't pool...and with nowhere for it to go, the water just invited itself into our big room.

We called on the assistance of a 'renovation' company. Their answer was, that we could do, for just a few dollars, what they could do for a thousand or more. We just needed to rent a carpet blower.

We called on an irrigation guy to give us an estimate on fixing the drainage in our backyard to ensure the water goes around the house instead of through the house but he won't be here until tomorrow morning.

So off to the hardware store we went to rent a blower to blow the carpet and concrete dry.

We had originally, before all the rain and unwelcome water, planned a 'date night' for tonight. Then that got put on hold because of a work commitment, but that got set aside because of the work that needs to be done to clean up this mess.

So our 'date' night tonight consisted of eating pizza out and coming back home and ripping out 3/4 of the carpet in the big room. Yep! That's right...the carpet and padding was so wet, so bad, that with the risk of mold here in Texas we had to make the decision to just take it out. Now we will start the search for a new floor covering for that room.

I'm exhausted. But I'm blessed. I have my family and we are all healthy. We lost some carpet and have to incur the expense to replace it but that is just 'stuff'.

Here is what else happened today...One of my good friends from where we used to live "A" instant messaged me and told me that some mutual friends of ours "K" and "R" lost their married daughter yesterday. She was shot with a single gunshot, in her home. It is not a good situation at all. I can not image receiving a phone call telling me that a son or daughter of mine had been killed.

My carpet and flooring is just a hiccup in life compared to what K & R are dealing with tonight. I beg you, if you are reading this, please stop and say a prayer for this precious family. K & R are very strong, active believers. I know their faith will get them through this, however I know that your prayers will help them as well.

What are you dealing with today that you consider a problem? Is it life-changing or life-threatening? If not, are you keeping it all in perspective?
Acts 20:24 (Contemporary English Version) But I don't care what happens to me, as long as I finish the work that the Lord Jesus gave me to do. And that work is to tell the good news about God's great kindness.

1 comment:

Connie Barris said...

Boy, that puts life in perspective...

I am praying for them. I can't imagine their grief... I am so sorry...

Yes, i'll pray every time I think about them.

and all my "small" things will stay small today

love you