Sunday, July 01, 2007

Update

Little Lessons are usually written Monday through Friday with occasional 'special editions' on the weekends. I had planned a 'special edition' for this weekend. Saturday was very busy and over before I realized it. Sunday afternoon was set aside to write the 'special edition'.

Best laid plans....

Have you heard that we have had a little bit of rain here in the Dallas-Ft Worth area? We had the second wettest June on record and only missed breaking the record by something like a half-inch. We've had so much rain with no where for it to go.

So today... we had what we usually call Lake Patio in our back yard. Our small patio accumulates the water run-off from our backyard and, usually, I said usually it runs down a drainage path the the end of the house then down the side of the house past the pool equipment under the fence and out to the street...most of the draining taking place underground. But for some reason today, Lake Patio just kept rising.

So in my shorts, t-shirts and bare feet, I headed out the door, in the pouring rain to try to encourage the water to do what it is supposed to do....I walked all along the drainage path clearing any debris that I could find in the rising water. I thought things were indeed flowing better.

I came back in and found that the small throw rug in front of the patio door was soaked. Water must be getting in somehow. I stuffed the bottom of the door with a towel to try to keep the carpet dry. A short time later, I checked the patio door again to see how the patio looked.

Shock!

It was now about 2 inches above the bottom of the door. No way to open the door now. Water would flood my fireplace room. So out the front door and around the house I headed. We now not only had Lake Patio but also Lake Pool Equipment. And that lake was about halfway up to my knee. We have a fairly new fence on that side of the house and apparently the bottom is too close to the ground for the water to flow under...when it floods that is.

So off to the front of the house to try to dig a trench under the fence that would let the water flow from Lake Pool Equipment into Circleview River (the sides of our street always look like a river if we get any rain at all). With the trench-ette hollowed out, water started moving like rapids. And finally Lake Patio started to recede as well.

So now I could sit to write Little Lessons...right?

Wrong! I found that the water had indeed seeped onto the carpet in the fireplace room. So out come the towels to sop up as much as possible and the fans to try to dry it out.

Then.

Then I went into the master bathroom (which, just so you know, does NOT have a door leading to the outside) and when I stepped in the room...squish. What?!?!?! So I pulled back the carpet and the concrete under the carpet and mat was soaked. Since I have new tile to put in the room but just haven't got to that job yet, I just ripped out the carpet and padding. I called my son to come help me carry it out to the trash cans in the garage.

Got to the garage...which is on the other end of the house from my bathroom... moved two trash cans.. that ARE NOT near the garage doors...to get to the trash can that I wanted him to put the carpet in...and guess what was under the trash cans...you got it...more water!

Not long after that I saw my son walking the perimeter of our 'big room...again not near any outside doors at all...and I hated to do it but I had to ask...."more water?"....yes. sigh.

At this point do you laugh or cry?

I did what I could then headed out to the evening service at the church I have been going to with my sister-in-law (for newer readers, we are in the search for a new church home and do believe that this church is the one we will be going to but this is the first time we have visited the evening service).

I still do not know where the bathroom, garage, and big room water came from for sure.

So now, is the first time I have had all day to try to write my 'special edition' which I could have written instead of this diary of my day ...but I chose to share these details and ask you to keep me and my family in your prayers as we see just how much of our flooring we can salvage and what will need to be replaced. And as we find some to help fix the drainage in our backyard in order to prevent worse disasters in the future.

So the 'special edition' will just have to wait....

Philippians 4:6-7 (The Message) Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

4 comments:

Connie Barris said...

Oh My.. and where was I.... I could have been praying for you.. I'm so sorry...

I didn't get on the computer much yesterday....

How are things today?

Susan said...

Praying that the water recedes very soon and that all dries out. It sounds like a call to insurance might be in order. You don't want that to mildew underneath. Ugh. We are in a drought now, but Hurricane Charley and others brought plenty of flooding rain in the area. It's hard to be in all that water...may God bless you and the area.

:-) Susan

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I just stopped by to say thanks for visiting my book review today. I am so sorry that you are dealing with all that water. I hope you will be able to clean it up easily without too much damage!

Melanie said...

Wow! What a mess that sounds like. I am so sorry! I will pray that things get better for you.