Monday, July 09, 2007

Can Your Carpenter Be Trusted?

We were able to get the irrigation repair and landscaping done in our yard on Friday. New underground pipes to drain the run-off and new retaining walls to redirect the flow of the water to the drainage pipes. I don't think we will ever have Lake Pool Equipment again.

I have great confidence that the water on that end of the house will now flow nicely into the drains and out to the street. If every thing works as designed we also will no longer have a lake in our front yard. If we could only say as much for the river in the street...oh well...that is up to the city.

So the only 'concern' we still had was the water coming into the 'big' room.

On Sunday afternoon we got a little bit of rain. Not a lot but the last time we got that small amount of rain, we did indeed get water in the big room. So Sunday after the rain stopped, I cautiously headed to the big room to see whether or not we had water in the room. Even though the 'problem' was 'fixed' outside I still anticipated seeing water flowing into the room. Now logic would say that I would expect dry floors after the repairs were made outside. But I had seen how little water it took previously to stream water in my room and I just didn't have full confidence that the repairs had worked.

So I walked cautiously into the big room, looked around behind the couch and...

....guess what....

There was....

...not any water at all!

I sighed a sigh of relief. Yes! The changes that were made were for real and the water was not coming in. I'm still feeling a bit hesitant about the first 'gully-washer' that we get but I feel reasonably sure that the water will go down the drain pipes and not into the room.

We come to our Loving Lord flooded with past sins and rivers of junk flowing in our lives. We hand our heart, soul, and mind over to Him and ask Him to repair the holes that sin and neglect have left behind. We know that He fixes it all because He told us He would. But what do we do when the first rains comes along? Do we trust that He is going to hold us safe and secure or do we go looking for the 'junk' that must be slipping through His repairs? When we find Him faithful, do we trust Him even more or do we still hold back thinking "Okay so you got me through a shower but what about a storm?"

Will you take time today to thank Him for patching up the holes in your life? Will you hand over the landscaping of your heart to Him and trust that when He is finished that His work will hold back the junk and keep it from mildewing in your heart? Will you approach His work in your life with confidence that He is the best Carpenter for your heart, soul, and mind?

Luke 6:48-49 (The Message)"If you work the words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who dug deep and laid the foundation of his house on bedrock. When the river burst its banks and crashed against the house, nothing could shake it; it was built to last. But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a dumb carpenter who built a house but skipped the foundation. When the
swollen river came crashing in, it collapsed like a house of cards. It was a total loss."

3 comments:

Connie Barris said...

It amazes me you can still write and keep your eyes on the Lord while all this is going on..

Praise you... Praise Him...

love ya

eph2810 said...

I am glad that you were able to get the pipe problem fixed in your home. Awesome that no water rushed into your big room :)
I love how you connected it to Scripture. I am willingly allowing Him to patch my holes...

Be blessed today and always.

Connie Barris said...

where are you????

praying