Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Where Are You Putting Your Trust?

Funny how we all get them. But what do we do with them? I'm talking about chain emails. In days gone by, if someone sent us a chain letter promising great things to happen if you sent it to x number of people within x number of days, the letter would have been thrown away. Who would 'waste' money on postage and copy paper to forward a superstitious letter? Oh but now that email is 'free', why not forward every letter to everyone in your address book. (Funny how I don't ever get any "Little Lessons" forwarded back to me...guess the challenge to follow Christ on a daily basis isn't as 'valuable' as following superstitions.)

So today I received yet another chain email. It talks about this person who did not have five friends to forward the superstitious email to so they instead had bad luck. Funny thing is that at the end of the email it said that I had to send it to not 5 but TEN people in order to receive 'unbelievably good luck'. What happened? Why did the 'real' people in the letter only need 5 but the current recipients need 10?

Last night I had a delightful conversation with a cousin-in-law about churches. The focus of the conversation was salvation 'in Christ alone'. All through my life I have been taught "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and "With God, all things are possible" and "in everything with prayer and supplication, let your requests be made known unto God." Our Loving Lord is all we need for salvation and all we need to make it through life.

So what do these two things have to do with each other? Everything! If God is enough, why in the world would we need to send chain letters via email for something good to happen to us? Isn't God good all the time? Isn't God the only 'good thing' we need to happen to us? If He is Lord and Director of our lives, doesn't He know the "plans He has for us" so that we can trust Him instead of putting false hope in electronic media?

What are you sharing today? Are you telling the world that our Loving Lord is enough? Or are you telling the world that He can't be trusted so you have to take a chance on the world's lottery? Will you share His Good News today instead of propagating the worlds deception?

Psalm 46:1 (New International Version) God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

1 comment:

Connie Barris said...

one of my favorite things to let flow from my mouth is...
"In Christ alone" I just love how that sounds... it's so poetic,,, so beautiful... it speaks it all....

my dad, and a few other friends and I had this very conversation this week..
and I said, bottom line.. why would God LET His Son die if there was any other way.... I sure wouldn't...I added, but don't let me argue you the point, go read, and find the answer for yourself...

I love Lee Strobel's books....

Blessings...