Thursday, September 13, 2007

Will You Stay Awake With Me?

Each night as I go to sleep, I lean up against dear hubby and pray myself to sleep. Most nights I start out praying for my dear hubby and the concerns in his life. Funny thing is ... the more I want to pray about, the faster I fall asleep ... never making it through my list.

Then I when I wake up in the morning, I reach out and touch dear hubby and start praying again. I pray between the times my snooze alarm goes off.

Or I try to at least.

See what happens in reality is this...I start praying each morning then my mind starts to wonder based on what I am praying about that day.

So this morning, once again, I was laying there praying...and my mind started wandering and then I was quickly back asleep...that's alot to happen in just nine short minutes between the snooze alarms.

But once again, my Loving Lord reminded me of a Little Lesson. And it was not the first time He had to teach this Little Lesson.

Seems the disciples had the same problem that I had. Jesus asked them to stay awake with Him during prayer time but they couldn't do it either.

What are you praying for or praying about today? How will you stay alert/awake enough to finish your prayer? How will you keep your mind from wandering off to something else?

Mark 14:37-38 (The Message) He came back and found them sound asleep. He said to Peter, "Simon, you went to sleep on me? Can't you stick it out with me a single hour? Stay alert, be in prayer, so you don't enter the danger zone without even knowing it. Don't be naive. Part of you is eager, ready for anything in God; but another part is as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire."

2 comments:

Susan said...

I agree. This DOES sometimes happen to me. BUT I love the thought that Jesus, the PRINCE of PEACE brings it on by simply calling on His name. This does not mean that it should always happen...but I love falling asleep in prayer.

Hugs.

Susan

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

I try to pray myself to sleep... but usually I'm too tired..

what a sweet lesson

missed you