Monday, October 01, 2007

Do You Have A Language Barrier?

Each evening about the same time, our girl cat, Tigger, expects at least one of us to go to bed. If we are watching TV, she will come and sit in front of us and stare. If we don't respond, she says "meeeow?" which I think means "Aren't you going to bed?" But I'm not completely sure because I don't speak cat very well.

So the other night, I did indeed go to the bedroom before she had to come to find me. As I entered the room, she was on top of the TV. (Dear hubby has another story to tell about her being on the TV...something about "It's rabbit ears not cat ears" but that may be a story for another day.) So I said to her "get in bed, go on, get in bed" and she just sat there and stared at me ... and said "meowww?" and I said "Don't talk back to me just get in bed." .... She stared some more ... and I repeated "GET IN BED!" and suddenly she must have understood because her eyes lit up (they do that, they really do!) and she jumped on the bed and waited for me to join her.

Cats meow. People talk. Yet somehow we do manage to understand them and they, when they want to, understand us. Or at least we pretend they do.

I speak and understand English. My Loving Lord speaks and understands every language ever created. Yet sometimes I have a hard time understanding what He is saying. He speaks and I try to listen. But sometimes I just have to give Him a blank stare. So thankfully, I know that as long as I do listen and try to hear, He will keep letting me know what He wants me to understand.

Do you have a language barrier with our Loving Lord? Do you speak to Him without understanding His response? If so, will you faithfully continue to listen to Him speak (through prayer, Bible study, preachers, wise counsel, etc.) until you do understand?

Matthew 11:15
(New International Version) He who has ears, let him hear.
(The Message) "Are you listening to me? Really listening?



1 comment:

Susan said...

Beautiful Sharon! Sometimes I DO have a language barrier and it's not good. That's when I need to be still and listen.

Hugs to you.

:-) Susan