Monday, November 12, 2007

Are You A Morning Person?

I'm an 'OK' morning person. I can wake up and have a conversation before my eyes are even open but I don't like getting up. Planning to get up 'early' takes a lot for me.

I have recently discovered a truth that makes me jealous of morning people and of older people.

Yes, I said jealous of older people.

Why?

Well because, based on my experiences, I think most older people prefer 'traditional' worship services. (Actually modern traditional not ancient traditional but that's a lesson for another day.)

And most traditional worship services are now the 'early' service. (But I can remember years ago where the 'contemporary' service was the early service...my how times change! But I digress.) Stay with me here, Okay?

OK. Let's recap.

* I'm not a morning person.
* I've recently discovered a truth
* I'm jealous of older people
* Most older people like traditional services
* I like blended services
* Most blended services are the later services

So why am I jealous? Because the older people that go to the early services get to experience it!!!

What is 'it'?

It is the Biblically modeled time to spend time with our Loving Lord. Yes that's right! Check it out...

* Early in the morning Abraham returned to where he stood before God. (Genesis 19:27)

* At daybreak, LORD, You hear my voice; at daybreak I plead my case to You and watch expectantly. (Psalm 5:3)

* O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is. (Psalm 63:1)

* I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me. (Proverbs 8:17)

*And all the people came early in the morning to him in the temple, for to hear him. (Luke 21:38)

*And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. (John 8:2)

Early. First. The best part of the day is the first part of the day.

Are you a morning person? If not, when do you meet our Loving Lord each day? What part of your day do you share with him? Does He get what's left over at the end of a long, stressful day? Or does He get the good stuff, the first fruit of your day? How do you think your day would be different if you refused to do anything at all until you first spent time with Him? What if you left the TV off until you read His Word and had a chat with Him? What if you didn't even go get the paper (let alone read any of it) until after you share time with Him? Don't know where to start? Would you consider printing off this link, http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/readingplans/survey.php, and putting it with your Bible? Will you commit two months, just two months, to giving Him the first moments of the day He has blessed you with? Will you come back to Little Lessons and share with me what impact spending time with Him is having on your life?

Psalm 119:97-98 (New Living Translation)
97 Oh, how I love your instructions!
I think about them all day long.
98 Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
for they are my constant guide.


No comments: