Thursday, November 15, 2007

What Is Your Idea?

Yesterday at work, I saw a video about Johnny the bagger. I had heard the story before. If you are not familiar with it, either click the link or search for it on the Internet. There are several places you can read his story.

Anyway we were talking about it at dinner last night and this was the conversation..

"That's great but it would never work where I work. People are too beat down."
"But it start with one person. You could be that one person. Johnny, a down syndrome boy, changed his whole store."

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I remember the last time I complimented a bagger at the grocery store. I'm usually too concerned about whether they put the ice cream in the bag with the cereal. (Which makes me crazy by the way. Dry with dry. Cold with cold. Meat with meat. That's how I want my groceries bagged. Oh and don't put my milk in a bag.) Bagging groceries today is pretty much a thankless job. Since they don't 'carry them out' any more in most places, you don't even tip baggers any more. Yet in this thankless job, one person, being 'thoughtful', changed his world.

Then this morning, I read a quote (after I read my Bible) that says:

If a man cannot be a Christian where he is, he cannot be a Christian anywhere.
-- Henry Ward Beecher


So I thought to myself, if Johnny can change his whole grocery store with his idea and if we are to be Christians no matter where we are, how would we impact the world if our idea was to be a Bible-believing, God-fearing Christian every day no matter where we are, no matter how depressing our circumstances?

What idea will you find today to impact your world? What will you do to live the Christian life in your place of business or in your home? How will you be Jesus to those around you today?

Matthew 5:14-16 (The Message) "Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm
going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."



2 comments:

Susan said...

Great post! I certainly think we need to never doubt the power of one.

Susan

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

I have seen that video.. and I was so touched by it...

I wish you the happiest Thanksgiving...

love ya
Connie