Monday, December 03, 2007

Can You Accept Change? (revised)

Football is big in Texas.

Currently the best high school teams are in the play-offs seeking a state championship in their division. Our largest high schools are 5A and we have 5A division I and 5A division II.

One local school, Southlake Carroll, had some unbelievable win streak come to an end early this year when they played a high school from my hometown which is in Florida.

Still, the Carroll Dragons made the play-offs as did the team my son graduated from, Trinity High.

This past weekend Carroll, once again, lost. The Trinity Trojans won. Trinity is still in the play-offs and Trinity is one of the noted teams in this area.

So I was very surprised when the news media did a full package story on the Dragons complete with player interviews but only said "in other games, in a rematch between Oddessa Permian and Euless Trinity, Trinity came out on top." No pictures, just the scoreboard. No highlights or interviews.

I thought to myself, "This news team is so used to Carroll winning that they can't bring themselves to not give them press coverage. They're out. Come on guys, give coverage to the ones still in the hunt."

How often do we hold on to the past instead of accepting the present? How often do we say "but I'm used it being this way not that way"? Oh there are many ways that we say it..."I wasn't raised that way", "I've never done it that way", "I wasn't trained to do that". How often do we refuse to accept change?

When we come to Christ, we come to change. Sure that change is from the ways of the world to the ways of the Lord but it is also to change that comes from Him leading us in our lives.

What if Jesus had said "I can't change that water to wine. My wine would be much better and no one has ever left the best wine for last"? Or if he had said, "I can't bring Lazarus back from the dead. You know that's not the way we do things around here. Dead is dead."

How will you let our Loving Lord change you today? What will you do to accept change like you never have before? Whether you are 9 or 99 or somewhere in-between, will you say "Okay Lord, here I am, what fact of change do you want me to accept today?"
2 Corinthians 5:17 (King James Version) Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new
.

1 comment:

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

I love that... Dead is Dead...

yes, we sometimes try to hold onto things that are way beyond dead, don't we....??

change is a hard thing, unless it's a stinky baby... smile

great devo..

love you
Connie