Sunday, February 17, 2008

Are You Shattered?

Last summer, dear hubby and I went on a cruise to Mexico for our silver anniversary. In the port of Ensenada, we purchased a beautiful plate with a lighthouse surrounded by rocks with wave crashing in on the rocks. This plate was hand painted. Literally. The painter used their fingers and fingernails to paint the picture. No brushes. Just fingers. The plate was placed on our mantel for all to enjoy.

For Valentines Day, dear hubby gave me roses. Beautiful yellow roses (my favorite) with coral tips. The flowers were placed next to the plate on the mantle.

On Saturday night, dear hubby and I had just got to sleep when we heard a loud crash. We rushed to the den and found ....

Pieces ....

We found five or six pieces of what once was an unbroken plate.

No. It did not jump off the mantle by itself. One of our 'lucky to still be alive' cats had gotten too curious about the roses and had climbed on the mantle and in the process knocked off the irreplaceable plate. Oh, I know we could possibly find a similar plate somewhere but it would not be the special plate that dear hubby picked out for us during our walk in Ensenada.

We picked up the piece and it looked like we might be able to glue it back into one piece. But it was late. Very late. So we headed back to bed.

As I lay in bed, knowing that we were both very disappointed about the plate, I did the only thing I knew to do ... I prayed. I said, "Lord, I know it's not possible but I sure wish we could wake to find the plate back in one piece." A little while later, I finally went back to sleep.

Then Sunday morning came.

We got up and went into the den. Our eyes seemed to be playing tricks on us. Sitting on the fireplace was our plate ... on the plate stand ... appearing to be whole again. But how?

Our son had come home after we went back to bed. He saw the plate in pieces and knew the significance of the plate and the emotional value of it. He pulled out the bonding glue and lovingly put the pieces back together. Restored. Almost as good as new. One small chip still seems to be missing but looking at it from across the room as I type this, I can't tell that the plate has ever been shattered into pieces.

Our son displayed an act of love for us that was an answer to our prayers ... prayers that he did not even know I prayed.

Is your life shattered today? Do you feel like you are in pieces? You, too, are irreplaceable. And there is a Son that is just waiting to put your pieces back together. The Son of the living God. Jesus. Our Loving Lord's blood was shed to give you hope...to give you a reason to go on ... it the glue that restores the pieces of your life. He knows your significance better than you ever will. And when He restores you, you will not be almost as good as new ... you will be better than new. You will be white as snow. Will you give the shattered pieces of your life to Him today?

Psalm 51:17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

2 comments:

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

that gave me chills...

how sweet and special.. and SO GOD...to work through your son...

just wow...

love ya
Connie

Susan said...

Wow, Sharon, that is an AWESOME story! I love it that your son played such an important role in this blessing.

Hugs,

Susan