Monday, May 05, 2008

Do You Use What You Bring Home?

I have, several times through my life, bought various 'beauty' items...soap that keeps the fine lines and wrinkles away...diet aids that 'melt the pounds away'....iron pills that should lesson my anemia.

Guess what? I now have fine lines in my face. I'm still overweight. My anemia still slows me down when I walk to far or climb too many stairs.

Why?

Did the products not deliver on their promises? That would be the easy answer to give. But, alas, it would be incorrect.

In most cases, I never used the products or if I did, I didn't follow the directions all the way through.

Do you feel that Christianity is this way? Do you think that "it's nice to hear all that stuff at church on Sunday or from other so-called Christians but none of it works for me"? Do you think the Bible is just an old book with no relevance today?

Let me ask you this... (Be prepared ... many challenging and thought-provoking questions ahead...)

What do you do with Sunday's sermon or Sunday School/Bible study lesson when you come home? Do you even remember the what the preacher spoke about? Do you remember the Biblical applications the preacher spoke on or do you just remember the illustration or the current event that he related it to?

And what do you do with your Bible when you come home? Does it get opened? Read? Applied? Or is it like my beauty supplies? Does it get brought home and left unused? Or if you do open it, do you 'follow all package directions' or do you pick and choose only applying what 'works' for you...what makes you feel good? Do you let it challenge you? Do you let it help you grow?

What will you do starting today? Will you find the Bible in your home and open it, read it, study it, apply it? Will you let it do in your life what it was designed to do?

2 Timothy 2:15 (King James Version) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth

2 comments:

Technonana said...

I am reading I BECAME A CHRISTIAN AND ALL I GOT WAS A TEE-SHIRT....
in the book, Vince addresses just what you are saying on your blog! It's a great book....
Thanks for reminding me to stay HUNGRY for My Lord, and His word!!

A 5 time mom said...

This was a good reminder that we are NOT to be hearers of the Word only, but doers.