Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Does Anyone Knock Anymore?

Ahhh Yes! I just retrieved myself from a steaming hot over-sized bowl filled with bubbles and scented water. How relaxing.

More direct...I just finished taking a bubble bath.

As I was soaking and thinking, I was lost in a world of my own.

Suddenly, without warning, an uninvited person was in my bathroom. A man. And he was talking about something to do with the dishwasher water and how it obviously wouldn't mess up the running of my bath water as the tub was already full. So I looked up at my hubby and said, "Don't you know the concept of knocking?" Then I soaked a bit more while my heart returned to it's natural place in my body. I mean really. What was he thinking? Just showing up, quietly, unannounced, halting my deep thoughts, and bringing be back to the here and now?

Shortly after he left, left without completely closing the door, the door slowly opened again. I looked in the direction of the door. I saw a nose. A furry nose. Sigh. "Kitty cat, don't you know how to knock either?" I'm still not sure if it was Tigger or Tiger. I guess they sensed that they were not welcome to enter either if they didn't know how to knock.

In life outside the tub, things happen. Sometimes things happen that we don't like. Job loss, cancer, death, divorce, addiction...you understand. Many times we are just soaking in the bubbles of life and suddenly, without warning or explanation, trials show up unannounced and they don't knock. Our Loving Lord tells us that He has a plan for our lives. He knows these things are coming but still He doesn't make them mind their manners...and knock. We get startled. We get mad. We get embarrassed. We feel alone, ashamed, hurt, and more. God shows up in the midst of our situation but what do we do? How do we react? Do we welcome Him where we are or do we tell him to learn to knock first?

There we are in our circumstances...where God came in and didn't necessarily knock...and He didn't close the door all the way either...so it's still partially open...and, who appears at the door next? Perhaps it's a neighbor, close friend, or prayer partner. What do we do? Do we welcome in the one who came to be with us during our trial or do we push them away, reminding them to knock next time and wait for our invitation?

Little Lesson Life Expression
So what will you do the next time our Loving Lord interrupts your rest and relaxation? What will you do the next time He grabs hold of a thought you are having and leads your mind in a different direction? Will you welcome Him or turn Him away? Will you welcome the brothers and sisters in Christ that He sends to you and let them slip in through the slightly opened door or will you push them away and stay alone in your own little world?

Psalm 9:9-10 (The Message)
God's a safe-house for the battered, a sanctuary during bad times. The moment you arrive, you relax; you're never sorry you knocked.

Proverbs 15:10 (The Message)
It's a school of hard knocks for those who leave God's path, a dead-end street for those who hate God's rules.

Revelation 3:20-21 (The Message)
"Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I'll come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I, having conquered, took the place of honor at the side of my Father. That's my gift to the conquerors!"

No comments: