Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Are You Still Green?

The tree is beautiful. Fall is in full force here in Wisconsin. I've traveled here for business this week. Driving from the airport to the office, I traveled through the university campus and the beauty of the fall colors almost made me want to return to college.

Arriving at the office, I noticed the tree. The reds so rich. The oranges so bright.

But it was odd at the same time. It seemed the top half of the tree was red and orange while the bottom half appeared to still be solid green.

Why would only half a tree change?

I walked over to the tree and took a closer look. Sparsely among the dark green leaves, I spotted several yellow leaves...the more I looked, the more I saw. So the bottom half of the tree was indeed changing!

From a distance, I didn't see the yellow leaves. The brilliant red and orange ones out shined the yellow ones.

So many thoughts flooded my mind about the possibilities of Little Lessons from this tree. But I settled on this....

When the world looks at believers, what do they see? Do they see the changes that have happened in a believer's life? Or does their life look unchanged until you get up close and personal?

When the world looks at the church, does it look divided? Does it look like we just have some loud, outgoing, excited participants and the rest of the attenders are basically no different than the world is?

To me, we all go through changes when we accept our Loving Lord into our heart. Some are subtle changes that you can't see unless you look deep inside, like a 'good' person who gives up their selfish wants and let's Christ control their finances. They are the the yellow leaves you only see when you walk up to the tree. Others are radical changes, like the individual who is being held captive by the consequence of addictive behaviors who, upon accepting Christ, lets go of the addiction and lets Christ take control. Their change is the bright red and orange that you can see from a distance.

It's all the leaves being the color they are assigned that make the tree a sight to see.

Little Lesson Life Expression
Have your leaves started changing colors? Or are you the unchanged green leaves? Will you let the changes start in your life today? If you have not yet accepted our Loving Lord as Saviour, will you make that change today? If you have accepted Him but are not actively living the plan He has for your life, will you invite Him to bring more colors of change into your life today?

Matthew 3:8 (Amplified Bible) Bring forth fruit that is consistent with repentance [let your lives prove your change of heart]

1 comment:

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

What an awesome analogy....and very timely...

How are you my friend? I have really missed talking to you... we use to talk a lot... this year has been tough for probably both of us... and I guess we have not been able to talk as much... but know that I think about you...

I love you dearly
Connie