Sunday, October 12, 2008

Can I Be Gay With You?

What were your thoughts when you read the title of today's Little Lesson? What did those six little words bring your mind to? (Note to parents: Today's Little Lesson may be rated PG instead of G.)

It's not what you think. I didn't say what you thought you read.

If fact, I simply want my word back.

In high school, I had a friend named Holly Gay. I loved her name. It always made me happy. See I knew her before the meaning of word in our society changed.

In elementary school, I had learned the meaning of the word gay. It was something bright, pleasant, that promoted a feeling of cheer. At the time, all children were meant to be gay. Holly was a delight to be around...always pleasant.

Then a few short years later, another group of people claimed that word for themselves. Suddenly, instead of gay meaning simply happy and cheerful, it meant you lived an 'alternative lifestyle'. Suddenly straight people no longer wanted to be described a gay...even though the former meaning of the word had held true for centuries.

Fast forward to my adult son's generation. They stole the word again. Now the word means "rubbish”. Or at least that's what the BBC Board of Governors has said. They have stated that in 'modern playground-speak' the word should not be offensive to 'gays'.

Oh but the media in America disagrees! This week I saw an public service announcement that encourages our young people not to use the phrase "that's so gay" to describe things that are stupid or rubbish. Why? It's not nice. It might hurt the feelings of those who call themselves 'gay'. So I have a question....did the homosexual community count my feelings when they took the happy meaning of gay away from me?

Side note: This Little Lesson is about the meaning of the word not about the lifestyle issues.

I looked it up. I am apparently a Sunday's child. Do you know about Sunday's children?
"But the child born on the Sabbath Day,
Is fair and wise and good and gay."

So I repeat...Can I be gay with you?

Little Lesson Life Expression
Our Loving Lord says what He means and means what He says. Will you do the same? Will you say what you really mean this week? Will you mean what you say? Will you choose your words for effectiveness and then stand by them never changing?

Matthew 5:33-37 (The Message) "And don't say anything you don't mean. This counsel is embedded deep in our traditions. You only make things worse when you lay down a smoke screen of pious talk, saying, 'I'll pray for you,' and never doing it, or saying, 'God be with you,' and not meaning it. You don't make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true. Just say 'yes' and 'no.' When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong.


No comments: