Saturday, October 04, 2008

Getting The Unexpected

I went to Kohl's today. Don't you just love shopping at Kohl's?

I was a bit confused though. I had not been to this store in about two months. They had moved things around. Petites now occupy the space where my size used to be. I wondered around until I found clothes in my size. None of the garments on the rack shouted, "Buy me! Take me home with you! Come on, at least try me on!!!" So I headed back to the front door empty handed.

But something happened as I was leaving. I opened the door to leave and noticed a mom coming in pushing her baby in a stroller. I remember those days. One hand on the stroller and one on the door...how awkward it is to try to maneuver both with just two hands. So I did the only reasonable thing...I held the door open for her. She smiled weakly and said "Thanks." Then I saw another woman, this one did not have a child or any 'extra' baggage'. I held the door open for her anyway. She looked me in the eyes and her frown turned upside down and she expressed a surprised "Thank you." I smiled too. Smiled deep down inside as well.

As I walked to my car, I realized I 'got' something today. Something that didn't cost me a dime. I got the chance to add a small ray of Son-shine unexpectedly into someones life. AND...and I got a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside of me. Why? Because I got to practice what we teach children all the time but rarely think about as adults. I got to practice Ephesians 4:32a.

Little Lesson Life Expression
Will you take time today to be kind to someone you meet? If not, why not? If so, will you share with us the results?

Ephesians 4:32a (Amplified Bible)
And become useful and helpful and kind to one another,


No comments: