Sunday, January 18, 2009

Who Helps You Navigate?

Tuesday was my first day to report for possible Jury Duty.

In downtown.

I don't drive our freeways and I don't drive downtown.


So of course I took the train, the TRE (Trinity Railway Express), and then caught a bus to get me nearer to the Tarrant County Justice Center.


Although I had my directions in hand, not wanting to get lost along the way, I asked a lot of questions. I asked questions to be sure I was on the right train. When I got off the train, I inquired about the right bus to get me near my destination. On the bus, I asked to be notified when to get off for Jury Duty.
At the bus stop, the driver told me this was my stop and gave me directions to get the the Justice Center.

I started walking, following what I understood to be his directions. When I did not go to the left at one intersection, a woman who had been on the bus, a woman who knew downtown, a woman who knew where I need to go, spoke up and said, "You're going to the Justice Center, right? You need to cross this way with me."

She was right.

I followed her and my destination was straight ahead of me.


As we travel through our daily lives, we check our road map and follow the directions. In other words, we read our Bibles and look for our Loving Lord's guidance as we make decisions. Sometimes we might get confused, disoriented, lost. That's when our Loving Lord places His people along our path. Someone to share an encouraging word. Someone to stop us from going astray. Someone to coach us on toward success. These people are not 'accidents'. We need them and we need to use discernment as we listen to their coaching. Not everyone that tries to give us advice will be on our side. Some will try to derail us. The enemy sends his 'counsel' as well. That's why we need to start with studying the guidebook that our Loving Lord has given us...so we can recognize wise counsel versus the enemy's counsel.

Little Lesson Life Expression

What directions are you listening to today? Are you relying solely on yourself? If so, will you look around you today and see who our Loving Lord has place along your path to provide insight for your journey? Will you rely on His Word to keep you from falling prey to unwise counsel?

Proverbs (The Message)

11:14 Without good direction, people lose their way;
the more wise counsel you follow, the better your chances.

13:10 Arrogant know-it-alls stir up discord,
but wise men and women listen to each other's counsel.

19:20 Take good counsel and accept correction—
that's the way to live wisely and well.

No comments: