Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Where's The Worth?

(Dear hubby asked me if I really had the dream I mentioned yesterday. In case you too were wondering, yes. My reply to him was actually "Yes. You know I don't make up anything in the Little Lessons." To me, what makes Little Lessons special is what the tag line states: "Looking for the heavenly meaning in the every day events of life.")


Last Friday, the president of the company I work for made a statement that got me thinking. I later told dear hubby that I would be writing a Little Lesson about what he said.

Then we left for Family Life's Weekend to Remember and I did not get a chance to write it. On Sunday night, a popular television show stole my line. Dear hubby hollered from the other room "Hey, there's your line." Yeah.

Still I think this is pretty cool...so you get it anyway :-)

The president was speaking on the state of the economy and how it was impacting our company as well as each of our own 401K's. He reminded us that for most of us our retirement funds are "worth less" today than they were a year ago.

I heard him say that our savings were "worthless" but quickly realized what he actually said.

The popular television show was discussing the value of one particular pizza parlor. The husband/owner said that if certain changes were not made it would be "worthless" and the wife said "No. It will be worth less but not worthless."

On Friday, when I first started heard the words, I could not get over how powerful the thought was.

In our lives, we make investments. We invest in our families. We invest in our friends. We (hopefully) invest time in our church. We invest in our heavenly future...in the Kingdom of our Loving Lord.

But what happens when we "oops"? What happens when we make a mistake, do something bad, hurt our reputation? Our tendency may be to consider ourselves "worthless" for the Lord. We think one bad action depletes our entire investment and makes us worthless for Him and for those around us.

But are we?

We may, for a time, be "worth less" but that's what repentance and forgiveness are all about. With Christ in our lives, we are never worthless. Please hear that again. You have worth! No matter what you've done, what you've been through, where you are in life...You have worth!!!

Little Lesson Life Expression
What does your current spiritual investment portfolio look like? Are you struggling to find any value in it? Are you feeling worthless in your witness? Will you accept today that you are not worthless? Accept that you have worth and take just one small step today to share with someone how our Loving Lord is helping you reinvest in His kingdom?

2 Timothy 1:13-14 (The Message)

So keep at your work, this faith and love rooted in Christ, exactly as I set it out for you. It's as sound as the day you first heard it from me. Guard this precious thing placed in your custody by the Holy Spirit who works in us.

James 5:19-20 (The Message)

My dear friends, if you know people who have wandered off from God's truth, don't write them off. Go after them. Get them back and you will have rescued precious lives from destruction and prevented an epidemic of wandering away from God.

No comments: