Sunday, August 09, 2009

Are You A Burden Bearer?

While drying my hair this morning, I noticed the small frame on the wall.

"
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Thinking of the struggles I've faced recently, I said, "Loving Lord, how? And why? Even with your strength I don't know how to continue working through these issues." Continuing to swirl the hair dryer around my head, I was pondering my questioning attitude when I was reminded of the verse in First Corinthians 13,

"
Love bears all things."

All.


I can do ALL things...Love bears ALL things. After getting dressed for church, I checked my email. One of my daily e-devotionals reminded me of Psalms 103:8 (NIV);

"
The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love."

In The Message it reads,

"
God is sheer mercy and grace; not easily angered, he's rich in love."

Ouch. Not easily angered. Ummmm. Anger is often my reaction to dealing with some of the issues in my life.
"Loving Lord, I'm not sure I can. Not sure I can be gracious, compassionate, slow to anger and abound in love in my own strength. I'm human you know."

And quietly I was reminded I don't have to do it alone.

Not only is our Loving Lord there for me, other people are too. You may ask "who"? Other Bible believing actively practicing believers. How do I know? Galatians 6:2 (HCSB) says

"
Carry one another's burdens; in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."

I like the way it reads in the Contemporary English Version:

"You obey the law of Christ when you offer each other a helping hand."

It goes on in verse three:


"If you think you are better than others, when you really aren't, you are wrong
."

Little Lessons Life Expressions
What are you struggling with today? Will you recall that in our Loving Lord's strength you can get through it? When you think it's too much, will you remember that love does bear all things? Are you utilizing the gift our Loving Lord gave us and sharing your struggle with a small group of strong believers that can 'offer a helping hand' and help you 'carry your burden'? If you are the trusted friend, are you carrying that burden with love and backed with prayer?

Galatians 6:1-3 (The Message)
Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.


No comments: