Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Are You A Faux Pas?

I'm a walking, talking fashion faux pas.

Fashion and me just do not get along. Recently, I managed to coordinate a blouse, necklace, and earrings. I looked nice. Even had on some eye shadow and mascara. (I rarely wear makeup.)

By way of a compliment, a friend said, "You know what you need? A bracelet! That would finish it off nicely!" Finish it off. I was more coordinated than you've seen me in over a year and I still needed to "finish it off."

Actually I'm a cheap walking, talking fashion faux pas.

I don't 'get' spending high dollars on clothing and accessories. I buy almost everything on the clearance rack. I don't see the differences in diamonds versus cubic zirconia. Sorry!

Anyway, because of the above, I got really excited when I found a little store in our mall that sells 'jewelry' and nothing in the store seems to be over about $20. I had recently bought four new tops and really wanted to try to get the right accent pieces to wear with them...out of character for me but I thought it might be good for my 'image'. So I found four sets. Each had a necklace and a pair of earrings. None were over $7 for the sets. Each matched one of the tops I had bought.

Over the course of a week, I wore each top and matching items to work. Got many compliments. This week, however, I started to wear one of the necklaces with another outfit. I looked closely at it as it was laying next to some other necklaces that had been bought for me as gifts and were of much better quality. This 'new' one looked cheap. Well, it was cheap.

I was suddenly embarrassed and disappointed that I had let people know that I had a new favorite store at the mall and it was the one that sold this jewelry.

Cheap imitations that take the place of the quality-made real thing.

Many times we do the same thing with our faith. We don't want to take the extra time to find quality Bible teaching and true worship so we settle for the first thing that comes along that fits our budget and sense of worship style. Because of the lack of quality, we accessorize our walk with cheap imitations of what our Loving Lord really wants for us. We become walking, talking, spiritual faux pas.

Little Lesson Life Expression
What value do you put on your spiritual image? When people look at your spiritual image, what do they see? Do they see a real, genuine, faith-filled life or do they see some cheap imitation of what our Loving Lord wants for you and for them? Will you invest some of your time today to get to know Him better and to let Him accessorize your life with the fruits of His Spirit?

Galatians 5:22-23a (The Message)
But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.


1 comment:

Teri said...

This is so good, Sharon! I love the thought of letting the Lord accessorize our spiritual image with the fruits of the Spirit! Thank you for sharing your heart and your gift of writing. - Teri