Friday, August 14, 2009

What Do You Need To Water?


I received a small plant as a gift a few months back. Since neither one of my thumbs is green, it's leaves promptly withered up and died.

The leaves died but the core of the plant ... it refused to die.

As you can see in this picture, the stem of the plant is, well, green.

I have been watching this plant daily for weeks. I touch the soil and if it's a bit dry, I water it. From the bottom as I learned to do many years ago with an African Violet that refused to die. The African Violet always had leaves that came back to life within a few days.

This little guy, however, has not yet provided me with any new leaves. All I have is the green stem and the little bitty almost-leaves at the top. I'm sure if you looked at my sweet plant, you'd advise me to let it go and die in peace. NO! I think this plant will eventually have full-sized leaves again. I will not give up hope on it. I will continue to check on it each morning and water it as needed.

In life, we all have things that need nurturing. Marriages, children, careers, friends, our relationship with our Loving Lord. Many times these things suffer from neglect and wither up. They may even look like they are so close to death that they are not worth the effort to try to save.

Yet with some loving care and close attention they can make a come back. You just need to invest a part of yourself in the nurturing of the relationship.

Little Lesson Life Expression
What relationship is suffering from neglect in your life today? Have you lost, or given up, hope that it will ever come back? How will you nurture that relationship today? Will you make the changes you need to heal your marriage? Will you provide tough love to your children? Will you take the coaching that your manager has been trying to give you? Will you call that friend that needs to hear from you? Will you open your Bible, read some, and ask our Loving Lord to restore your relationship with Him?


Ezekiel 17:8
It had been planted in a good field by abundant waters in order to produce branches, bear fruit, and become a splendid vine.


1 comment:

Teri said...

Thanks, Sharon! I needed this.