Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What Game Are You Playing?

I'm an addict.

I admit it.

But ... it's all my parents fault.

Yep! It's true. Here's how it happened...

We recently went on a family vacation to North Carolina. Dear hubby, me, my son and daughter-in-love ... Mom and Dad ... my brother along with his wife, four of their five grown children, their daughter-in-love and two grandchildren.

I had one goal while we were there...to have great family fellowship playing many games of Rook. It's a long-time family tradition to play Rook. Rook is a game that I only get to play when I'm with my extended family because dear hubby doesn't play. And it takes four people to play.

Before we ever reached our mountain retreat, Mom told me about a new game they were playing. I mentally blew it off because my number one game to play with these family member is ... Rook! I wasn't interested in learning to play any other game.

So we got to the cabin. I got to play a game or two of Rook but I kept losing my normal players to this 'new' game. I had to check it out. It's called Rummikub. I watched for about a half a minute and figured out exactly how the game was played...and I was hooked. I played the game every chance I got while we were at the cabin. We even went out and bought another Rummikub game so we could have two games going at once. We brought the second game home with us.

Then we got home and hubby had to go back to work and our son and daughter-in-love went to their home. There was no one to play with. But I was addicted and would not be defeated in my quest to play.

I found the ultimate playing companions...on the Internet. There is actually a Rummikub.com site!!! All Rummikub, all the time! So I play. And I play. And I play. I play unless I'm working, sleeping, writing (which I need to do more of) or eating (which I need to do less of). I'm hooked. I'm addicted.

Just as I found these new-found online playing partners ... the Rummikub website went bonkers! You couldn't get on. Their servers were messed up. If you could finally get on and get in a room to play, you'd freeze and get kicked out and lose the game!!! Like my friend Robin, I don't like to lose!

What do you do when you can't do what you want to do???

Perhaps you rethink your priorities. Quit blaming others for your choices. (It's not really Mom and Dad's fault that I choose to play too much.) Admit your addicted to the wrong things. Set things straight in your life with the help of our Loving Lord.

Ouch. I wish I wouldn't step on my own toes. It hurts.

Little Lesson Life Expression
What is eating up your time today? How should you better use the gift of time our Loving Lord has given you for today? Is there a gift you need to get out and use? Do you need to _____(fill in the blank with your gift or talent such as: bake, write a note on an actual piece of stationary to a friend, call and encourage a friend, go visit...) to bless someone He has put in your path? What's stopping you? What are you addicted to? What do you need to do less of so that you can do more for Him?

Matthew 25:45 (The Message)

"He will answer them, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me.'

No comments: