Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How's Your Communication?

“You know, I meant to send him an email this week.” Dear Hubby was disappointed in himself. We have a friend whose dad is not doing well and may be in his final days here on this earth. “I wasn’t sure what to say because I can’t imagine what he’s going through.” He was right. We are both blessed to have both of our parents still with us and in pretty good health.

I told him that sometimes all we can say is “I’m here if you need someone to listen and I’m praying for you and your family.”

Just letting someone know you care is often more important than the words you say. In fact saying words can sometimes be more harmful than helpful. I’ve been in two conversations recently where the two people were trying to let me know they care about me and are here for me but the words ‘of clarification’ cut to where the hurt really lives and put me on the defensive. Thankfully I knew both of their hearts and I was able to move past the details and accept the love and concern they each were sharing.

Others will avoid talking to someone who is hurting because they indeed don’t know what to say. The downside, or unintended consequence of that, is that people think you don’t really care.

In this age of electronic communication, we often try to take the easy way out and shoot off an email because it’s quick, easy, and basically free. Just like prayer.

Oftentimes it’s easy to shoot off a prayer in passing hoping that our Loving Lord ‘catches’ what we are trying to say.

I wonder what kind of an impact you would have on the person you are trying to encourage if you took a few minutes of your time and a few dollars out of your wallet and stopped by the card store and picked out a “just thinking of you” card and sent it to them. Wouldn’t that show that you are honestly interested in them and in their life?

Our Loving Lord wants the same from you. He wants you to stop and chat with Him “spend” some of your time with Him.

Little Lesson Life Expression
Did you start your day with a good quality conversation with our Loving Lord? Or did you dash out the door with a quick “Let’s go Lord! I need lots of help to get through this day”? How do you think your day would be different today if you would had spent more time with Him? What about that friend that needs to hear from you today? Have you called them yet? What will you resolve to do differently tomorrow regarding your relationships?


Galations 4:7 (The Message)

Doesn't that privilege of intimate conversation with God make it plain that you are not a slave, but a child? And if you are a child, you're also an heir, with complete access to the inheritance.


1 comment:

LauraLee Shaw said...

It is my heart's desire to be a better communicator...in every relationship I have. Thank you for the admonishment.