Sunday, April 18, 2010

Why Bother With Housework?

Today my husband and son are at the Nascar race so I have the house to myself, if you don't count the cats.


If you know me well, you know housework and me do not get along at all. In fact, most of the time I just don't do it...which is why I call myself the world's worst housekeeper.


But...


Since I had the house to myself, I said to myself, "Self! Let's sweep and mop the kitchen floor!"


Self agreed and we began. A short while later we were done and I was putting everything back in place...the rugs, the chairs, the trash can...then the cats food and water dishes...the water was back in place fine so it was time to set down the rather large size self-feeder that holds the cat's food.


Right as I sat it down...the bottom came off...and the cat food went everywhere...all over my freshly swept and mopped floor. 


I honestly said absolutely nothing. I just picked up the water bowl and emptied it out. Some of the spilled food had gone for a swim. Next I picked up the broom and dust pan and swept up the rest of the food. Finally I refilled both the water bowl and the feeder.


It would have been so much easier to just not sweep and mop in the first place.


It reminded me of the last time I cleaned the shelves in the refrigerator. I had just washed the last removable shelf and was preparing to return it to the fridge. And in a nano-second, the glass slipped off the frame and shattered on the floor. It was in a million pieces. That time I stood there and cried.


Little Lesson Life Expression
How often does God come into our lives and clean us up only for us to rely on ourselves instead of Him? So we slip away and make a mess of things or shatter into pieces. How much better would we be if we relied on His grip and His grace instead of thinking we know better than Him what is best for us?


Psalm 34:18 (The Message) If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there; if you're kicked in the gut, he'll help you catch your breath.

No comments: